Roomate Contract Breached?

Status
Not open for further replies.

needhelp5

My roommate who sublet the room to me got angry with me, due to her personal problems, and requested me to move out a week ago. She was really mad at that time and I was so insulted. We both agreed that I finished the tenancy before the contract ends, which is the end of June this year. So it is still 6 months away from now. Since it was her who verbally asked me to leave, I decided to leave by the end of this month and gave her a 30-day intent to vacate notice yesterday, just want to make things clear and written. From the day she asked me to leave (1/2) and the end of the month(1/31), there are 30 days already. But today she seemed to change her mind. She threatened me that if I am going to move out, she will sue me for not staying with the contract. I want to move out, even back in last year, because she always talks to me about her personal life and links it to me nonsensically and get very emotional. I feel so scared to live with her, whom I suspect to have mental problems. The actual landlord of the whole unit once told me that my roommate locked an ex-tenant out after a quarrel. I was afraid at that time, but not as much as now.

So here are my questions:
1) If she really sues me in the small claims court (I guess this is the place that handles these matters), am I liable for the remaining 6 months rent?

2) Does that 30day notice make it sound like it was me who initiates the end of tenancy, even if she verbally asked me to and I already stated on the notice that we both agreed upon that? The notice was signed by me, not by her, does it matter?

3) I asked police for help but they said it had nothing to do with them since I was not physically hurt, and I could not tell how she would be able to hurt me in any way. No report was filed. They just noted my driver license # and name. But I don't feel safe to stay with someone who acts at her emotions, and I don't want to stay until "something" really happens. Would this be enough to justify my vacating before contract ends at the court?

4) Should I return the key by the last day of tenancy, and wait for 21days after the move-out for the security deposit? I heard that I should keep the key until return of deposit but I'm not sure. I am just afraid that if she does not return the deposit and I am going to file a claim, this may arouse that fact that I walk away from the contract.

Feel so stressed. Hope someone can advise. Thanks!

She can't force you to leave.
If she wants you out, she'd have to evict using the court system.
But, if what you say is true, she has no grounds to evict you.

But, you can't just walk out on your contractual obligation (the lease), either.
The notice you sent her, expressing your intent to vacate the unit, isn't valid unless she accepts it in writing.

So, the two of you have reached an impasse.

She has no grounds to evict you.

You have no grounds on which you can vacate.

I suggest you work it out.

In the future, don't sublet.

Sublets usually degenerate into what you're experiencing.

You're an adult.

You left mommy and daddy years ago.

You need to get your own living unit.

Yeah, yeah, you don't have the money.

Nonsense, get the money, legally.

Others get it.

You get it.

Otherwise, the maniac you live with might just take a hatchet to your neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back