Contacted by legal mediation group

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvslife73

I recieved a call on July 3rd from a legal mediation group that told me that there was a pending lawsuit against me from their client with two counts one for defraud and one for profit by deciet. This lady told me that I had to come up with half of what the client said was owed or I would be served with papers or even go to jail. I was given until July 7th to get this money. On my credit report this credit company had charged off on this account and had even sent me a statement showing that there is a $0.01cr previous balance and a $0.00 new balance on it. To my understanding this statement meant that this matter was taken care of. That was almost a year ago. I told the lady I had this statement and she wants me to fax a copy of it to her. She just kept telling me I had to pay half of the money and that if i didnt I would go to jail. She was very rude about this. I want to know what I should do and if I need to fax that statement. And what I should tell her if she calls back.

I have never heard of profit by deceit but that may be a specifc state violation somewhere. It really sounds like a scam. While they can bring charges for fraud, the police will not usually get involved unless it is a large amount of money or ID theft. It is also illegal to use the threat of jail for a civil issue.

If she calls back, and she will, tell her that you want validation of the debt. You can fax the statement and a request for validation and also a letter that they not call you. There are lots of samples on the net, just Google. You can also expect them to place this back on your credit report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back