Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI consumption and possession

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifkan

Im 17 years old and was stopped by a cop walking back to my car after dropping off a few people. I had consumed 4 beers and the officer smelt the alcohol on my breathe. He asked me if i had been drinking and i said yes and if there was any in my car and i said yes. I then blew a .04 into the breathalyzer. He asked me to open the trunk of my car (which is actually my dads car) and i had 3 cases of beer in the trunk. I told him i purchased it from a stranger in town. I was wondering when i go to court should i claim "it was not my beer and i didnt know it was in there and I only told him it was mine because i thought my dad would have gotten in trouble."

He didnt get me for DUI because he never saw me driving.

I need advice on what to say in court and if someone knows what kind of penalty will i recieve.

I have never been in trouble with the law before not even a ticket.

You're under 21 years old . The beers were in your car (your dad's car) they were in your possession it doesn't matter the beers are belong to someone else or not they are in your possession at the time police caught you . it's a criminal misdemeanor MIP (minor in possession) depend what state you're in usually first offense is you have to pay a fine +court cost the judge might ordered you to report to a probation officer for a year, order you to attend abuse treatment programs, random alcohol test, community services . Trust me it gonna cost you lots of money . After you are done with your probation the court will clean your record for the first time only . :eek:

I am not familiar with PA law but I'm sure it's the same with any state . In PA even with DUI charged I didn't see anything about license suspended for 1st time offender . Maybe some one from PA can help you .

You might want to check on administrative regulations...

You may want to check the administrative regulations in your state regarding your license.

For example, in Illinois there are provisions in the Administrative Code where the Secretary of State can reach an individual's license on an underage possession/consumption (one year suspension upon conviction for a FIRST offense). Just a thought, but I would look into it, or consult counsel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back