Consumer discrimination by local business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malgoska

Couple of months ago I took my clock to a local jeweler, to be cleaned and tuned up. When they accepted the job, they took all the information necessary to contact me when the clock was ready to go home. For 2 months, I did not hear from them. Finally, being in the vicinity, I went to the jeweler's shop to find out about that clock. I was treated in a very rude, condescending and patronizing manner by an older male clerk that was there. I was told that the clock was not at the location. I said, whether the clock was repaired or not, I would come back on the next business day to pick it up.

Last Monday, I called the jeweler's store and asked for the clock to be displayed on the wall, in case it was repaired, so I could see it working. Also, considering the price for the service was $200.00, I asked for the itemized statement, because I wanted to know what was done to fix the problem. (By the way, was that itemized bill request unreasonable?)
When I went to the jeweler's store, the same rude clerk was taking care of a female customer, selling her a watch. When he succeeded, he adjusted the watch bracelet for about 35 minutes. In that time the line of customers grew to 5 people, including myself.

During the bracelet adjusting procedure, the store phone rung. The clerk answered the phone, talked for a while and hung up. Then, he started a sermon on the subject of people speaking with foreign accents. He could not understand a word they were saying, he could not forgive them for taking "our" jobs etc. for a long time he berated and denigrated people who did not speak pure American English.

It hurt a lot, considering that I am a naturalized citizen, and I do speak with an accent. However, holding a job of a phone operator, I know that I speak and annouce clearly and have no problems making myself clear on any subject.

After a long wait, the customer finally left with her new watch, and I thought I would pick up the clock.

Nope. No such thing. The clerk REFUSED to give me my clock back. He not only was rude to me as to a customer, he IGNORED ME AS A PERSON. He took a watch from a man who came in after myself. After I reminded him that I was next in line, he stated that he could not give me my clock back, and after that he did not look at me, he did not speak to me, he simply did not acknowledge that I was there at all.

Needless to say, I went home without my clock. I wrote a complaint to BBB, for all the good that will do - but I still do not have my clock.

Any ideas on how to get my clock back? Any help will be greatly appreciated. - Malgoska.

I guess it is time to talk to the management. I assume you have already paid for the repairs, so they have no right at all to keep your clock.

Advise them that you will pick up your property at a certain time and that if the property is not being handed over you will sue for conversion and all the costs of your retrieval attempts.

NYClex said:
I guess it is time to talk to the management. I assume you have already paid for the repairs, so they have no right at all to keep your clock.

Advise them that you will pick up your property at a certain time and that if the property is not being handed over you will sue for conversion and all the costs of your retrieval attempts.

I never had a chance to pay for anything - as I said, the clerk refused to acknowledge my very existence. Refused to accept payment, refused to talk to me or to look at me. He just started taking care of the next customer.

The BBB sent me a note that they forwarded my complaint to the owner of that business, and now I am waiting for the outcome.

Still, to treat someone like that, only because a person speaks with an accent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back