Conservator Appointed for Elderly Aunt and Taken from Niece - HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rladieu

I have been my elderly aunt's dpoa for many, many years. It became an active dpoa when she had a stroke and subsequent dementia 1 1/2 years ago. I put her in nursing home in different state than me, nursing home thinks she has more money than her monthly SSI and pension (she doesn't and never has but has always acted like she is very wealthy), so they had her deemed incompetent (without my knowledge) and asked the Public Administrator to file a petition for guardianship and conservatorship. Hearing was yesterday; I couldn't attend b/c I'm 1500 miles away, single parent, unemployed (b/c of my aunt and my responsibility to her) and broke. I wrote 4 page letter to judge pleading my (our) case. My aunt tells me she wants me to remain her guardian/dpoa and she doesn't understand what is happening. Nursing home did not take my aunt to hearing and now they have given guardianship and conservatorship to the Public Administrator. What does all this mean? I can't afford an attorney. What happens at this point? Should I call State Ombudsman's Office...can they help? Do I contact her new guardian and see what financial records they want? How do I get this reversed? This is CRAZY! I have her financial records that show she's NEVER had any money other than her monthly retirement income...or at least since I became involved in her financial affairs. Will I have to account for every cent I've spent on her behalf? (I.e., I purchased many things for her nursing home room by going to garage sales ~ I've also purchased clothes for her at garage sales and through classified ads.) This has all happened because my aunt pretends, says, acts like she has money (always has as far back as I can remember) and they believe I have taken her money. I've lost my job to help her, lost my car because I couldn't afford any longer, and am living on welfare while desperately looking for another job. I'm pretty sure none of these things would have happened to me if there was any money. I'm pretty sure she would not have qualified for Medicaid if she had any money either. HELP, please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back