Connecticut Car Excise back taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirsegev

Is CT allowed to collect Excise tax on car even if you dont live in the state any longer, and can show that the car was registered elsewhere?
Is there a limit on how far back in time they can go to collect?

Is CT allowed to collect Excise tax on car even if you dont live in the state any longer, and can show that the car was registered elsewhere?
Is there a limit on how far back in time they can go to collect?

Connecticut General Statutes allow municipalities 15 years to attempt to collect a debt.

That said, you need to be aware of some things as I was caught up in this when they attempted to claim back taxes after 14 years.

1) If you are past 7 years since the time they are claiming the debt and no longer live in that state, dispute it in total. It can not be reported on your credit report and almost all municipalities don't keep records after 7 years.

2) If you are being contacted by a collection agent, respond in writing disputing the entire amount and back up your statements with evidence of why you do not owe the amount.
After that, IGNORE THEM.
The fact you are being contacted by a collection agency is an indication that the municipality has already charged off the 'debt'.

There is a sample letter here.
http://www.thelaw.com/forums/showpost.php?p=94454&postcount=86

3) If you are contacted by the municipality directly and are past the 7 year period for credit reporting and no longer live in that state, it's a safe bet that you can respond the same way outlined above for the collection agent. They will, by law, still have up to 15 years to attempt to collect the debt but as a practical matter, they really can't do anything.

4) If you are contacted by the municipality and are within the 7 year window, you will have to pay as they most certainly will report the debt against your credit report.

Last edited:
Thank you. This is painful. I have 2 more questions…
We are on the cusp of 7 years and were contacted by a collection agency. Based on your response it sounds like I'd have to pay?
The problem is we did return the plates by mail, as required. They probably did not receive them or lost them…. Any point in arguing this?

Dispute the debt in total.
Send them a copy of you registration in another state.
Demand from them proof of the validity of the debt.

You may be able to blow this off.
That's your call depending upon how much they are claiming you owe them.
The fact a collection agency is contacting you means the municipality has already charged it off.

1) If you are past 7 years since the time they are claiming the debt and no .
7 years since when?
I left CT in July of 2003. Mailed them plates and have a receipt with registration cancellation in August 2003. Now in September 2010 I got a bill from collection agency.
Am I past 7 years? Or they are counting since the end of year 2003?

If your talking about property tax, then get a copy of a carfax to show you no longer own it and most town's tax collectors will accept that as proof of non ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back