Confused

speedbird

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hello everyone,

My step brother has fallen on hard times lately down in Florida. I just found out he's been dealing with a bunch of traffic infractions. He doesn't want to talk about his legal problems. I want to help him by hiring him a lawyer but he gets upset when we mention his legal issues. I was able to pull up details from his last appearance in a Florida traffic court. It displays a bunch of short form words and codes and I am trying to figure out what is going on. I see something about SPR and Bail. Would someone be able to interpret what the copy and paste below means? Was he arrested and granted bail? I'm not asking for advice I just would like to know what he's up against.

ENTRY: SPR RCI
TIME:10:00 TYPE: PRE TRIAL DIV: NDJC
LOC: NO DADE JUSTICE CENT
JUDGE: A-HEARING-OFFICER
DEFN ATTY: RCI SOURCE: C
CASE ACTION: CONT SET TRIAL BW AMT:
PLEA NEXT HRG TYPE:TRIAL REPORT CODE :
SPECIAL SET:
DISP: CONT: COURT SENTENCE:
JURY:N TRAF SCHL: JDG REQ: MONEY OPTN: REHAB OPTN: STAY:
PEN ASSD: W/S/CONV :
JAIL TYPE/TIME: 0000
BOND ID: - 0- ACTION:
MOTION/DISP: 0 * * 0 * * 0 * *
REHAB/DUE DATE/RESET:

Thanks in advance.

TYPE: PRE TRIAL DIV

Pretrial diversion

Pretrial Diversion is a deferred prosecution program for selected misdemeanor/misdemeanor DUI offenders, offered by the Office of the State Attorney and supervised by Orange County Community Corrections.

Program Eligibility:

Misdemeanor/DUI charges only. Felony cases are supervised by the Department of Corrections.

No prior sentence, conviction or dismissal for a similar charge, no more than one prior misdemeanor sentence for a dissimilar offense, no prior deferred prosecution/diversion programs, no prior juvenile programs, no prior felony sentences.

Legal residence in the United States.
Approval by the Office of the State Attorney.
For DUIs: no prior alcohol-related driving offenses, regardless of disposition.

Program Enrollment:

You cannot refer yourself to Pretrial Diversion. Your attorney cannot refer you directly to Pretrial Diversion.
You must be referred to Pretrial Diversion by the Office of the State Attorney.

Only the Office of the State Attorney can approve your case for Pretrial Diversion. If you are approved for the program, you will be signing a contract with the State Attorney to complete the conditions described on the back of this page.

You are not on the Pretrial Diversion program until the day you sign the contract with the State Attorney.

Pretrial Diversion - Florida Safety Council
SPR's Role in the Criminal Justice System

The Supervised Release Program for Sarasota County performs two critically important tasks that contribute significantly to the effective administration of justice.

SPR gathers and presents information about newly arrested defendants and available release options for use by judicial officers in deciding what, if any, conditions are to be set for released defendants. SPR recommends the least restrictive conditions of release to the community that promote public safety and return to court.

SPR supervises defendants released from custody during the pretrial period by monitoring their compliance with certain conditions of release and helping to assure that they appear for scheduled court hearings. SPR supervision gives defendants the opportunity to participate in a variety of pro-social interventions in an effort to decrease the likelihood of future criminal behavior.

A judicial officer – a judge or magistrate judge – makes the initial pretrial release decision after taking into account the representations of the prosecutor and the defense attorney, as well as SPR's release recommendation. SPR provides objective, verified data about each defendant to assist in judicial decision-making. SPR recommendations are designed to manage flight and public safety risks associated with releasing defendants. Throughout the pretrial release period, SPR notifies the Court, prosecution, and defense counsel of defendant non-compliance. This information allows all of the parties to respond promptly to violations and fulfill their common purpose of serving the community.

When SPR performs these tasks, unnecessary pretrial detention is minimized, jail crowding is reduced, public safety is increased and the pretrial release process is administered fairly.

Supervised Pretrial Release

The above is simply my synopsis.

My humble suggestion is NOT to put any of your money or your effort into this until your brother reveals everything he's facing to your satisfaction.

To leap before you look does little to help your brother.

In my view, your brother has at a minimum a very serious alcohol abuse problem.

At a maximum, his alcohol problem, along with a mental health issue and/or a drug abuse problem requires a very rigorous
in-house treatment regimen.

Hello armyjudge,

Thank you so much for the response. It helps me understand the process. He is not known to be a drug user or drink excessively. I probably should of added the below to my original message.

Issue Date #:: 07/03/2022

Related Misdemeanor Charges #: NONE

Case Type: INFRACTION

Attorney of Record: NONE

Violation: 316.085(2) - IMPROPER CHG OF LANE/IN FRNT OF VEH

Case Action: RESET FOR COURT

What we were wondering is was he arrested and brought to jail and bonded out for $0? It does look like his license was suspended for non payment of traffic ticket. He then paid a fee of $16 and the license was reinstated and the case continued. His license seems to be active with no restrictions on the state DMV website. Could this still be alcohol or drug related with the info I pasted above? We live north of the border so we are not familiar with the process in Florida.

Thanks in advance

Pretrial diversion

Pretrial Diversion is a deferred prosecution program for selected misdemeanor/misdemeanor DUI offenders, offered by the Office of the State Attorney and supervised by Orange County Community Corrections.

Program Eligibility:

Misdemeanor/DUI charges only. Felony cases are supervised by the Department of Corrections.

No prior sentence, conviction or dismissal for a similar charge, no more than one prior misdemeanor sentence for a dissimilar offense, no prior deferred prosecution/diversion programs, no prior juvenile programs, no prior felony sentences.

Legal residence in the United States.
Approval by the Office of the State Attorney.
For DUIs: no prior alcohol-related driving offenses, regardless of disposition.

Program Enrollment:

You cannot refer yourself to Pretrial Diversion. Your attorney cannot refer you directly to Pretrial Diversion.
You must be referred to Pretrial Diversion by the Office of the State Attorney.

Only the Office of the State Attorney can approve your case for Pretrial Diversion. If you are approved for the program, you will be signing a contract with the State Attorney to complete the conditions described on the back of this page.

You are not on the Pretrial Diversion program until the day you sign the contract with the State Attorney.

Pretrial Diversion - Florida Safety Council
SPR's Role in the Criminal Justice System

The Supervised Release Program for Sarasota County performs two critically important tasks that contribute significantly to the effective administration of justice.

SPR gathers and presents information about newly arrested defendants and available release options for use by judicial officers in deciding what, if any, conditions are to be set for released defendants. SPR recommends the least restrictive conditions of release to the community that promote public safety and return to court.

SPR supervises defendants released from custody during the pretrial period by monitoring their compliance with certain conditions of release and helping to assure that they appear for scheduled court hearings. SPR supervision gives defendants the opportunity to participate in a variety of pro-social interventions in an effort to decrease the likelihood of future criminal behavior.

A judicial officer – a judge or magistrate judge – makes the initial pretrial release decision after taking into account the representations of the prosecutor and the defense attorney, as well as SPR's release recommendation. SPR provides objective, verified data about each defendant to assist in judicial decision-making. SPR recommendations are designed to manage flight and public safety risks associated with releasing defendants. Throughout the pretrial release period, SPR notifies the Court, prosecution, and defense counsel of defendant non-compliance. This information allows all of the parties to respond promptly to violations and fulfill their common purpose of serving the community.

When SPR performs these tasks, unnecessary pretrial detention is minimized, jail crowding is reduced, public safety is increased and the pretrial release process is administered fairly.

Supervised Pretrial Release

The above is simply my synopsis.

My humble suggestion is NOT to put any of your money or your effort into this until your brother reveals everything he's facing to your satisfaction.

To leap before you look does little to help your brother.

In my view, your brother has at a minimum a very serious alcohol abuse problem.

At a maximum, his alcohol problem, along with a mental health issue and/or a drug abuse problem requires a very rigorous
in-house treatment regimen.

What we were wondering is was he arrested and brought to jail and bonded out for $0?

I can't say for certain, but looking at the skimpy details, it seems he was allowed to be discharged from jail AFTER agreeing to appear at all court proceedings by simply signing his name. That's often referred to as personal recognizance, as in what some term CASHLESS bail.

Cashless bail is said to be responsible for the recent rise in crime.

I'd only be guessing as to his specific charge(s).

Back