1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

confused Security Deposit

Discussion in 'Other Residential Landlord & Tenant Issues' started by rikki, Mar 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rikki

rikki Law Topic Starter New Member

ok i have a question, if i give my 30 days notice (feb1-march1) but yet took me 10 more days to move out(march 10) do i still get my deposit back?

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

You will be charged a holdover fee, if it was in your lease. That's where you start. Read your lease. Otherwise, 10 days is about 1/3 of a month. You could be charged 1/3 of your rent.

Then it depends in what condition your unit was when you left.

I hope you documented things, pictures, videos, a walkthroughs with your LL, etc...

After certain deductions and charges are applied, the remainder (if any) is what you should get returned.

Read this from Clark County, NV. It explains the law in your state.

http://www.clarkcountycourts.us/CivilSHC/landlord-tenant-evictions/security-deposits.html

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  3. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

30 days is a minimum notice of intent to leave. There is no obligation to actually leave. If you remain you obviously must pay for the extra days.