confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

TesWolf

My boyfriend owes quite a bit on child support, some of the children he is paying for, he is sure are not his. He refuses to do anything about it, I have talked with him about finding an attorney and getting a modification and also contesting paternity, but he seems to think that he has to have the money to do the PT on all the children, not just the ones he says are not his. Not to mention the fact that he doesn't have the money to pay for one PT let alone two or three. He says I don't know anything about it and that he has exhausted all options, but I don't think he has. Can someone please tell me what all is involved with contesting paternity and getting support modified?

This is your boyfriends problem, he has to take care of this. Problem is, most states have a short time frame to dispute paternity. If your boyfriend is sure some of these kids are not his, why did he sign the bith certificate, or not dispute it earlier? you will have to google disputing paternity in your state to see what the time frame is. It might be too late for him to do anything, and he might be stuck. If he doesn't have the money to pay for these kids then he needs to stop getting women pregnant.

lol he didn't sign the birth certificate on two of them, the state put his name on them because he was married to the woman at the time of conception and birth. The others, are from his second marriage, he adopted her kids from a previous relationship cause he thought the marriage was working til he found out that the boy he thought was his was actually his friend's. That's how he ended up with so many to pay support on.

Last edited:
Ok, if he was married to the woman that automatically makes him the legal father. When he divorced her, why didn't he dispute paternity? When he divroced he knew he would have to pay her child support.

Second, if he adopted the children, they are legally his. You cannot undo an adoption.

Your boyfriend seems to have had a run of bad luck with these women. He should see an attorney to see if there is anything he can do about the first kids not being his but since he didn't do anything about it, probably too late.

we realize and understand about the adopted children, but he is under the impression that if he contests paternity on one or two, then he has to pay for paternity tests on all of the children. He is disabled and can not afford to put out that kind of money, legal services says they won't help him because they helped one of his exs with the divorce and we are kind of at a loss as to where to go from here.

Yep he most certainly has to pay for the paternity tests. Not only did he not request them in an appropriate time frame, but somebody has to pay for it and I dont see why mom should have too since your boyfriend is the one in the wrong here. He said he's the dad and now he wants to backpeddle out of it. You have to understand that he is going to have to google the laws in your state. It might be too late to even dispute paternity. You just cannot come up with this a few years later. Most states have a time frame to dispute paternity and if your boyfriend has exceeded it, there is nothing he can do.

If legal aid will not help him, then he can call around to other attorneys. If he is disabled is he getting SSI? If so then the childrens mothers should be receiving a benefit for the children off of his SSI.

the two that the state decided were his because of the fact he was married to the mother, he never had any kind of notice that child support was being activated because with his disability he has a hard time staying in one place. Yes he has just won his disability/SSI, but the money they are taking from his check is not leaving him enough to even pay rent, let alone pay for just basic needs like his medications. The first two children he didn't even know they existed, the state said he was the father by reason of marriage, the only ones he wants to "backpeddle" out of are they ones that he knows are not his, but unless we can find a way to afford the paternity tests, he is going to be supporting these children in a manner that he isn't being allowed to enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back