Conflict of interest

steven stubbert

Jurisdiction
Nova Scotia
What is the lawyer representing me gets a job for the company I am fighting in court shortly after I lose my case. A job that he would have been in talks wit , during my case. It's that not a conflict. This by the way is a serious case where jail time is involved.

Thanks for any input

Has this actually happened or is it a what if?

Do you have some reason to think this may happen?

You should also realize that if jail time is involved you are fighting the state, not a company.

I know someone who works for a police department. Someone died in their care. Represented by a lawyer paid for by his union. Found guilty but not sentenced yet. Lawyer has just been hired by the police department. The same police department that accepted no responsibility but put it all on the member. Now that he has been found guilty, the police department can point their finger at someone besides themselves and their policies.

I missed that.

But after reading the OP's little rant I'd guess that there was no conflict of interest. And if there is a conflict it isn't the OP's business.

It's that not a conflict.

Depends on the specifics of your friend's case (of course, that assumes the conflict of interest rules of Nova Scotia, Canada are similar to those in most U.S. states, which may or may not be the case).

I know someone who works for a police department. Someone died in their care. Represented by a lawyer paid for by his union. Found guilty but not sentenced yet. Lawyer has just been hired by the police department. The same police department that accepted no responsibility but put it all on the member. Now that he has been found guilty, the police department can point their finger at someone besides themselves and their policies.

So...your whole original post, which was written in the first person, was a misrepresentation of the facts, and this situation actually has nothing to do with you. Got it.

What is the lawyer representing me gets a job for the company I am fighting in court shortly after I lose my case. A job that he would have been in talks wit , during my case. It's that not a conflict. This by the way is a serious case where jail time is involved.

Thanks for any input

We have many experts possessed of knowledge across many disciplines.

Of all those experts, none are fluent when it comes to the laws of The Dominion of Snow, aka, Canada.

Back