1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Conflict of interest

Discussion in 'Lawyers, Legal Practice, Ethics & the Bar' started by steven stubbert, Jan 22, 2020.

1. steven stubbert

steven stubbert Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Nova Scotia
    What is the lawyer representing me gets a job for the company I am fighting in court shortly after I lose my case. A job that he would have been in talks wit , during my case. It's that not a conflict. This by the way is a serious case where jail time is involved.

Thanks for any input

2. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

Has this actually happened or is it a what if?

Do you have some reason to think this may happen?

You should also realize that if jail time is involved you are fighting the state, not a company.

3. steven stubbert

steven stubbert Law Topic Starter New Member

I know someone who works for a police department. Someone died in their care. Represented by a lawyer paid for by his union. Found guilty but not sentenced yet. Lawyer has just been hired by the police department. The same police department that accepted no responsibility but put it all on the member. Now that he has been found guilty, the police department can point their finger at someone besides themselves and their policies.

4. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

When did we (the United States) annex Nova Scotia?

Red Kayak and shadowbunny like this.
  5. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

I missed that.

But after reading the OP's little rant I'd guess that there was no conflict of interest. And if there is a conflict it isn't the OP's business.

Zigner likes this.
  6. justblue

justblue Well-Known Member

lol....It is a beautiful Province. I have family in Scot's Bay...such a lovely place.

Zigner likes this.
  7. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Depends on the specifics of your friend's case (of course, that assumes the conflict of interest rules of Nova Scotia, Canada are similar to those in most U.S. states, which may or may not be the case).

So...your whole original post, which was written in the first person, was a misrepresentation of the facts, and this situation actually has nothing to do with you. Got it.

hrforme likes this.
  8. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

We have many experts possessed of knowledge across many disciplines.

Of all those experts, none are fluent when it comes to the laws of The Dominion of Snow, aka, Canada.