Condominium won't force unit owner to pay for damages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascher21

Hi

This is about a condominium in Connecticut.

I own 1/2 a duplex, the other half is rented. The renters are a divorced family of two adolescent children and their father. The mother has visiting rights and another woman is there frequently also. Apparently this was a messy divorce, because no one ever seems to be happy, and I get to hear it all from my side of the common wall. As this is a duplex, that wall means nearly every room is shared excepting for my bedroom (thank god).

Children are up at 2 or 3 on school nights, pounding on wall
Girl likes to jump and run up the stairs all the time
Lots of slamming doors, expletives, which I hear crystal clear in the bathroom
Police arrived when mother came in when she was not permitted

I've written to the neighbors, I've spoken to the neighbors, I've written a letter of complaint to the Property Management company that runs the Association, and I've talked to the Unit Owner.

They are quiet for a couple of days. Then the children start up again, the mother doesn't care (she doesn't live here)--no respect for us.

I've got Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, so the noise has been agonizing. Now I'm looking into sound-proofing, but don't feel I should have to pay for all of it (averages to about $1400).

I asked the unit owner to pay part, she won't. I asked the Property Manager is she can legally require the unit owner pay for it, but she says she can't.

Is this true? Can the HOA really not force the unit owner who rents and whose tenants have caused me emotional turmoil to pay for the sound-proofing??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back