1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Concern

Discussion in 'Guns, Firearms & Weapons' started by My Missy, Aug 23, 2017.

1. My Missy

My Missy Law Topic Starter New Member

can a felon carry a taser and not be charged for carrying it?In Tennessee IMG_0749.PNG IMG_0749.PNG

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

In TN it is a Class E felony to carry a stun gun if it is intended to be used as a deadly weapon during the commission of a crime. Penalties include a fine of up to $3,000, one year (and up to six years) in prison, or both.
    (Tenn. Code Ann. § § 39-17-1307, 39-11-106, 40-35-111.)

Any adult in Tennessee may purchase, possess (openly or concealed), or use a nonlethal stun gun for self-defense without obtaining a permit.

The law doesn't bar felons (who have completed their sentences) from possessing a stun gun, and carrying it open or concealed in the interests of personal protection.

However, a number of cities and counties in Tennessee have enacted additional laws on the possession of stun guns, it is best to check with your municipal or county government or law enforcement for additional stun gun regulations where you reside, work, or travel.

3. My Missy

4. My Missy

1. Is a taser the same thing as a taser?

5. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

I suppose a taser is a taser or a stun gun, just different names for the same or similar devices.

6. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

A taser is not a firearm.
    So long as laws regarding the possession and carry of a taser/stun gun are followed there should be no issue with it.
    However.... If on parole you might check with the PO and see what he/she has to say about it