Computer monitoring laws...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostlogic

I have a computer which is used by everyone in my household and the owner has installed parental monitoring software on it to see what goes on when anyone uses her computer and such. During the reviews of the logs, there was an AOL conversation between two parties and during the conversation, one of the people talking made comments where they said they wanted to buy a gun and use it to possibly hurt or even kill someone. Those weren't the exact words but it was obvious of the intent due to how it was said. Then on another occasion the person said they wanted to kill someone in this household and the other party said he would do it. When confronted they said it was a joke, which I don't believe and isn't something you joke about. I've asked police friends and the police department but am waiting on a reply. What right do I have to fight this, as it's very serious but due to the nature im unsure if it will hold? I am holding off bringing it to my local station until i get feedback from those I asked. I live in NYC, NY. Any help will be greatly appreciated and I thank those in advance.

Impossible to help you without knowing the person who made the comments. Maybe it was just a little bragging from some kid who would never do it. Then again, who knows. It's really your judgment call and if you think there might be a reasonable threat, then it might be something to bring to the attention of the police and ensure your safety. Is there a reason to believe this person would harm someone in your household? I'd say something if there was...

Originally posted by ghostlogic
I have a computer which is used by everyone in my household and the owner has installed parental monitoring software on it to see what goes on when anyone uses her computer and such. During the reviews of the logs, there was an AOL conversation between two parties and during the conversation, one of the people talking made comments where they said they wanted to buy a gun and use it to possibly hurt or even kill someone. Those weren't the exact words but it was obvious of the intent due to how it was said. Then on another occasion the person said they wanted to kill someone in this household and the other party said he would do it. When confronted they said it was a joke, which I don't believe and isn't something you joke about. I've asked police friends and the police department but am waiting on a reply. What right do I have to fight this, as it's very serious but due to the nature im unsure if it will hold? I am holding off bringing it to my local station until i get feedback from those I asked. I live in NYC, NY. Any help will be greatly appreciated and I thank those in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back