Compensation Promise for work performed, not fufilled, qualify for small claims?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanokai

I recently finished a job for a friend's neighbor and he took advantage of my trust in him to fulfill his promise to compensate me for my work performed. The defendant, closed escrow and was given 3-4 days to have his recently "sold" home vacated for the new owners to move in. I was asked , "last minute" to coordinate and assist with the move out for an unspecified $$ amount. I tried several times to discuss the contract rate before working and throughout the time I performed the work, only to receive the response of "you'll be WELL compensated for the work you perform". I decided to postpone the contract discussion so i could focus my time on the work to do. As part of my responsibility, laborers were hired off the street, to help complete the job at the rate of $10 / hour. My responsibility was to supervise them, assist and coordinate. the move. None of them worked over 8 hours to prevent confusion of payment per hour. I , on the other hand , worked on average of 12 - 16 hrs. per day for Seven consecutive days of DEDICATED HARD LABOR. I was paid a total of $870.00 for 87 hours of work. I WAS INSULTED. Does his statements qualify as a pre-determined rate for the contract since we can compare it to the hourly wage given to the laborers? His statement I feel determines that I deserve more than the laborers rate, because of my supervisor status title. I'm hoping to at least to have a small claims suit to recover my wages. Please advise.

Unless you had an agreed upon rate, it is going to be hard to sue and win. You have to prove he agreed to pay a certain amount.

I would talk to him in person and ask when you can meet up with him. I assume this man paid the laboroers seperately correct?

Perhaps he did not know how many hours you actually worked?

Thanks for responding. I've talked to the guy and he does not disagree with the hours worked, although he says that I only woked 60% of the time I was there. Which is a bunch of bull. I do have an itemized schedule of what I did and the hours accounted for. But he has decided that anytime I was not physically performing, it is not paid hours. I worked 12 - 14 hour days to see the job complete. I've compromised and asked for him to pay me the overtime rate after any hours past 40 hours, and i'll just accept the $10 hr. rate as the laborers did. But to no avail he refuses to give any more money.
I felt that the rate per hour paid to laborers should be a basis of what I should receive. To pay someone equal to hired help off the street is very insulting to a supervisor and someone you can trust. So I hope that a judge would at least award a higher hourly rate and overtime due as well as give him the definition of what hired labor is.

Sue him in small claims and let us know how it turns out.

Response to senior judge

Do I have enough evidence for a small claims casae? If so, I'll file ASAP, before he heads down to Mexico, where he is planning on relocating. I might have one small problem. He is in a mobile home (RV).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back