Commuting and allocation to office

Status
Not open for further replies.

artel2003

I have been living in the western burbs of Philadelphia, PA and commuting to Highland Park, NJ for the last 1.5 years - commute to NJ office (73 miles one way) although commute to Philadelphia office is only 13 miles one way. This has taken a toll on my gas/tolls/energy (1.5 hours each way) - all other folks who live in my area commute to Phila office. Reimbursed mileage is only over and above the commute mileage to/fro NJ office. Situation at office is that I am being sent further afield (northern NJ and MD) whereby if others were sent, they would get mileage reimbursed - I do not, as they compute my mileage from Highland Park (even if I leave from my home in western burbs).
Contract specifies that move to Phila office is not guaranteed, but will only be considered if I continue to live in PA (I do). A lot of co-workers are raising eyebrows about this lasting situation and say I should demand to work in Phila office - is there any legal basis for which I can ask to be transferred to PA office? Is it time for me to seek legal counsel re. other employment situations at work?

No, there is no legal basis to demand to work in any office. Typically, mileage isn't reimbursed from your place of residence to the office or other place you may be working at regardless of where you are going so it is good they are reimbursing you in some manner at all. You may mention to management the burden it is putting on you financially as the gas prices are so high and see if you can come up with a compromise you'll both be happy with.

Thanks for the quick response- I had guessed the answer! I never get mileage for my commute - only anything above that if it is work for the office. Co. is in financial trouble (we all recently were told there was a sizeable tax lien), wants to save $ and make a profit (at worker expense- multiple examples of this). Ex. If I drive to a site visit down in Maryland, I cannot compute my mileage from closer Philadelphia office (ie reimbursed for anything over 13 miles) but am only reimbursed over 73 miles (average commute to Highland Park, NJ as if I had driven it). My decision: whether to leave on the basis of waning energy levels/quality of life and issues of working under evident poor resource allocation/management. I can't imagine that the co. wants to lose their workhorse but interesting factoid: out of the original 40 workers in November 2006, a full 20 have now left for other positions (on their own terms).

Thanks for your answer - this is a valuable and appreciated service!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back