Communal well owner responsiblities

Seo155

Jurisdiction
Nevada
I'm the owner of a communal well and I have a new owner that bought a house that utilizes the well and has signed the agreement. He moved into the property jun of 2018.

He is saying his accountant needs all the bank deposit statements for the well account for the past 3 years even though he's only been there approximately 7 months. The well agreement says nothing about providing statements and he's been asking leading questions about account usage and if I'm paying myself (I'm not). There seems to be an ulterior motive involved.

How many months statements am I legally obligated to provide? There are 3 schools of thought on this. A) you have nothing to hide so don't. B) someone looking to do wrong starts with small requests then grows. C) don't give more than you are legally required to because it sets a legally binding precedent. I'm in the B/C camp because of all my years of security management and law enforcement support.

How many months statements am I legally obligated to provide?

Before you release anything or say anything, talk to a lawyer or two.

If the critter comes around again, simply tell him you've turned the matter over to your attorney.

Then say nothing, do nothing, other than wait for your lawyer to instruct you.

I'm the owner of a communal well and I have a new owner that bought a house that utilizes the well and has signed the agreement

What does this agreement say?

The agreement says nothing concerning statements. The only thing bank wise is that it specifically stated using Bank of America. There was not a current account with BOA when I bought the house with the well. The previous owner was in hospice and get kids drained everything she had in all accounts.

I checked with BOA and this well account would be considered a business account so the average daily balance would be higher before fees were waived. I would also need a second owner in the account according to the agreement.

I chose, with the agreement with previous owners; to do everything through USAA and no additional name in the account. I provide biennial account statements and anything above the electric and annual bill payments need to be approved by a 2/3 majority of the home owners in the agreement.

The the previous owner of the property behind mine didn't like that the third owner never responded and didn't trust him on the bank account. She was out of town so I end up being the steward.

Sorry, I have not been able to come up with a "legal" answer for you so I'm going to suggest a common sense approach.

Write the guy a letter asking that he either

a - Cite you a statute that requires you to provide 3 years worth of bank account information.

or

b - Provide a letter from his accountant, on the accountant's letterhead, explaining why 3 years worth of bank account information is required.

In the future respond in writing by mail (no text, no email) to any contacts by him. If he continues to be a hassle you might even want to consult an attorney.

Meantime, for what it's worth, I found the following on line.

http://water.nv.gov/

Information for Public Water Systems | NDEP

https://www.watersystemscouncil.org/

Back