common law marriage/informal marrige

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody

My ex. and me seperate three years ago. We didn't get married but we have a son together. During our relationship living together, we filed join tax return and have joint bank account. She use my last name sometimes. We separated after 9 years living together and I paid child support to her every month since we separated.
1 year after we separated, she got married with someone else. And I got married with someone else later. Today, suddenly she contact me and said that she should entitled to something from me cause we're in common law marriage during the time we living together.
So, IF our common law/informal marriage is estabished back then, is my ex still entitle for anything after 3 years we separated? Besides, she got married to someone else after we separated and still currently married. (through a formal marriage)

You owe her nothing.
You are only on the hook to pay what a judge orders you to pay.
If you're smart, you won't respond to her requests for money.
If she pushes this, and continue to say you were in an informal marriage, you might be making trouble for yourself.
The child support won't be considered child support unless a judge ordered you to pay; or you agreed to pay through the Attorney General's Office.
All of the money you're sending, if nor described as above, will be considered gifts.
I suggest you speak with a lawyer.
If you were in an informal marriage, that wasn't dissolved, you and her might be bigamists.
That's a felony and might make bigger trouble for you.
I'm not saying that's the case, but it might be a possibility.
You have many potential legal issues, including the legitimacy and paternity of that child.
See a lawyer, because I suspect you have other issues you haven't (and shouldn't) spoken about here!

I agree.

Because OP has either a) committed bigamy or b) committed tax fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back