"Come Down To The Station"

Status
Not open for further replies.

guestpost

If the police want to talk to you, and they say "We would like you to come down to the station and have you talk to us". Can a person simply say no?
Or if they wish to be "interviewed" and give a statement to the police, do so when and where and how that person chooses?
Obviously if under arrest, I would never make any statements to the police without my lawyer present. In the same token, as much as it is my desire to cooperate with the police, I would feel very intimidated to make any such statements to the police inside a" Police interview room" alone, with one or more officers present, while being video taped, recorded, and viewed by officers watching everything down the hall.
Thanks.

If the police want to talk to you, and they say "We would like you to come down to the station and have you talk to us". Can a person simply say no?
Or if they wish to be "interviewed" and give a statement to the police, do so when and where and how that person chooses?
Obviously if under arrest, I would never make any statements to the police without my lawyer present. In the same token, as much as it is my desire to cooperate with the police, I would feel very intimidated to make any such statements to the police inside a" Police interview room" alone, with one or more officers present, while being video taped, recorded, and viewed by officers watching everything down the hall.
Thanks.

It is never ever wise to speak to the police when you are under investigation.

If you have been invited to do so, politely decline.

You have the RIGHT to remain silent and the RIGHT to an attorney present.

No competent defense attorney would ever encourage you to speak with the police or provide a statement (written or recorded) to the police, either.

Of course you can say no. They will have to find grounds to arrest you in order to take you against your will. Your answer to this question should ALWAYS be no. Asking you to pretty please come to the station is often a sneaky way of getting a person to make a voluntary recorded statement without having to advise them of their rights.

When they ask you politely, it is normally always a cause for concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back