Collision shop taking long time for repair

johnly77

Jurisdiction
Michigan
Need some advice on the following:

Can anyone help explain what options are available if a body shop is taking an extremely long time for a repair?
My car has been in the shop since 10/25/2016. The repair was schedule to be complete by 11/23. My insurance company doesn't understand why the shop keeps stating reasons for the delay. The first reason was waiting for a feont bumper. Once the front bumper was received, the next excuse was waiting for a fender. Then just today, they are waiting for a front bracket for the front bumper attachment.

My rental car out of pocket was $290 after my insurance coverage for rental car was maxed. I returned the rental car 2 weeks ago due to the mounting expense. If I would have kept the rental car until now, it would have cost an additional $448 out of pocket. I am now driving my wife's car, which is an inconvenience.

Please let me know if there is any way I can recoupe the cost and time.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

A discussion with your insurance company claims adjuster is in order.
Ask what options are available to you, including having the car towed to another shop, and if rental auto reimbursement might be made available to you because the delay wasn't caused by you.
Avoid legal remedies for the moment, they take too long.
Negotiating will be far more lucrative, so you begin by BEGGING for help.
You have NOTHING to lose by asking for options, you might get some forbearance.

A discussion with your insurance company claims adjuster is in order.
Ask what options are available to you, including having the car towed to another shop, and if rental auto reimbursement might be made available to you because the delay wasn't caused by you.
Avoid legal remedies for the moment, they take too long.
Negotiating will be far more lucrative, so you begin by BEGGING for help.
You have NOTHING to lose by asking for options, you might get some forbearance.

Hi Army Judge,
Thanks for the input. I have presented the issue with my insurance claims adjuster. He suggested asking the collision shop for reimbursement because Progressive only pays the rental up to my max amount of $900. The collision shop said they would not reimburse any of the rental cost. Both sides, insurance and body shop are blaming each other. I don't know who to believe. I am going to request for documentation when parts were ordered and receive from the body shop to understand what was the delay. Every time I call for an update from the body shop, there is always some type of excuse. I don't understand how they keep having delays. I called the car dealership where they ordered my bumper and dealer mentioned the bumper was delivered within 4 days of the order. Then once bumper arrives to the shop, they said a fender was still pending, and now a bracket.

The body shop was the tow company that caused the damage to my car. Can I take them to small claims court for any out of pocket expense?

Thank you,

Who picked the body shop? I wouldn't have let a company that damaged my car touch it. :) Your insurance should be the driver per say in this issue. They should send someone to the shop to look at the progress of the repairs. Plus make sure they are doing them right. I would contact your insurance company and tell them that you will meet the adjustor back there at the shop. Ask the insurance company to make sure the adjustor has all the paperwork with them. So you can see if its them or the body shop. I would be very mad at this point..... But don't lose your temper.... but make sure they understand you want answers. I don't think at this point you can sue them unless you have a contract with them. That states it will be done by this date in writing. Plus with both the insurance blaming the body shop and the body shop blaming the insurance..... who is at fault here?? But if you get the adjustor, bodyshop together with you there. Then maybe you will figure out the problem child.

Hi Army Judge,
Thanks for the input. I have presented the issue with my insurance claims adjuster. He suggested asking the collision shop for reimbursement because Progressive only pays the rental up to my max amount of $900. The collision shop said they would not reimburse any of the rental cost. Both sides, insurance and body shop are blaming each other. I don't know who to believe. I am going to request for documentation when parts were ordered and receive from the body shop to understand what was the delay. Every time I call for an update from the body shop, there is always some type of excuse. I don't understand how they keep having delays. I called the car dealership where they ordered my bumper and dealer mentioned the bumper was delivered within 4 days of the order. Then once bumper arrives to the shop, they said a fender was still pending, and now a bracket.

The body shop was the tow company that caused the damage to my car. Can I take them to small claims court for any out of pocket expense?

Thank you,

Disabled Vet offered you some useful ideas.

What I'd like to know, is the "body shop" an authorized repair shop associated with your insurer, Progressive?

If it is, Progressive should be able to assert some influence to get this resolved.
Yes, you can certainly sue the "body shop", and you appear to have the facts on your side.
But, that won't get you a car ready for the road any sooner.
Heck, with these slackers, it might cause more delays.

Have you asked Progressive if you can have the car towed to another "authorized" body shop?
Try that, see if you can just get your car back in good working order.
From what you say, the repairs should have been completed by a competent body shop within a week, give or take a couple days.
Get the car back, then sue the incompetent body shop in small claims,
Be advised, even if you prevail, you don't get a dime.
You them must began the arduous endeavor of collecting on that judgment.

One last thing, mate.
Did YOU pick this body shop because they allow people to get their car repaired without having to pay the deductible?

If you did, don't ever do that again.
This is how those incompetent goons stay in business, and get away without collecting "cash" from you.
You'll get your car, eventually without having to pay the deductible, but you DO pay the deductible in a myriad of other unknown to you ways.

Anyway, good luck.

Back