college wont allow graduation

Status
Not open for further replies.

adastar12

I recently switched catalogues at my university for the purpose of being allowed to take different courses. I had met all requirements except one on the previsous catalogue and was due to graduate in may. My issue is they are now wanting me to take these 3 new classes during the summer ( at a cost of 3k) for my to graduate on time on the new catalogue.

The previous semester there were 2 students who did the exact same thing as me and switched catalogues and were missing the same prereqs but were allowed to graduate with no issue from the administration. My advisor and i cant not figure out why these people were allowed to go on but they are contesting my graduation.

I have seen the transcripts of the other 2 students( 1 female, and 1 male) and they had 30 less credits then me (i have 150, 120 are required) and they did not have the courses to substitue in to replace of the pre reqs missing nor were they made to go through an appeals process like i am. My advisor and i discussed this with the schools dean of my college and he would not address why they were granted graudation by him but he wouldnt not grant me graduation. I was issuied a ultamatium by the dean of the school to either take these courses or switch back to the old catalogue(which i cant do now untill the fall because the course wont be offered until then) or take the summer courses even though we showed him how my situation was the exact same as theirs( as they were switched from my catalogue to the new one i switched to and were missing the EXACT SAME courses) he had the other transcripts from the students he graduated infront of him yet ignored that. He allowd me then to file petitions through the school AFTER i told him that i was not allowed to switch 2 years ago when i tried by an old advisor who was fired for screwing up 2 other students(i have a new advisor now).

if my petitions are rejected going through the school channels is there anyway i can force them to allow me to graduate since they are ignoring their own precedent of allowing people to graduate in the same degree as me and missing the same prereqs that was set just a semester ago?

i forgot to mention the department chair, my advisor and the rest of the department are all supporting me in this and dont understand why these others were allowed to gradute without issue and were allowed to completely by pass the internal school petition process where as i am stonewalled and made to go through it. Btw this will net the school 4K because i have to take these courses in the summer(it will cost 4k in the fall as my scholarship expires)

Thank you

edit: i forgot to mention the department chair, my advisor and the rest of the department are all supporting me in this and dont understand why these others were allowed to gradute without issue and werent forced to substitue courses

Last edited:
It sounds like you have support coming from all the right places... your petition should be successful.
Wait for the response to that before you get too concerned.

thanks for the response moose, this whole situation just frustrates the heck out of me. Ill update this thread when i get a response to my petition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back