College teacher verbally humiliates and threatens grades

smmahoney12

My math teacher went on a rant in the middle of class after she did not like the actions of a few female students. (my professor is a female). I go to a community college as well.

said teacher went on to say that certain female students were mocking and eye rolling three other girls in the back of the room. She would go on to say that girls who do that are bitches and people who make fun of others are assholes. she was directing it at us. There are only about 8 girls in the room (it is a smaller class) 2 girls were not apart of it, 3 in the back whom the teacher was "defending" and the three in front whom i was apart of . She made it very apparent that she was directing it at us, she was trying to humiliate us in front of the rest of the class and shame us. she would then proceed to say that if certain students were tendering between a 69.7(D) and a 70(C), which you need to pass, that because of the attitudes of certain students, she would not bump it up even if you are putting in effort into the class and assignments. I know college professors can raise a grade if they want, but she somewhat implied that if we don't be "nicer" to the girls that we might fail. We are in college, we did not say anything nor did we directly make the face at the classmates. We can eye roll and snicker if we want. I know there is a school humiliation law in Illinois, but i am not sure if it can apply to college level schools.
(105 ILCS 5/27-23.7)
(Text of Section from P.A. 98-669)
Sec. 27-23.7. Bullying prevention.
(a) The General Assembly finds that a safe and civil school environment is necessary for students to learn and achieve and that bullying causes physical, psychological, and emotional harm to students and interferes with students' ability to learn and participate in school activities. The General Assembly further finds that bullying has been linked to other forms of antisocial behavior, such as vandalism, shoplifting, skipping and dropping out of school, fighting, using drugs and alcohol, sexual harassment, and sexual violence. Because of the negative outcomes associated with bullying in schools, the General Assembly finds that school districts, charter schools, and non-public, non-sectarian elementary and secondary schools should educate students, parents, and school district, charter school, or non-public, non-sectarian elementary or secondary school personnel about what behaviors constitute prohibited bullying.
Bullying on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, military status, sexual orientation, gender-related identity or expression, unfavorable discharge from military service, association with a person or group with one or more of the aforementioned actual or perceived characteristics, or any other distinguishing characteristic is prohibited in all school districts, charter schools, and non-public, non-sectarian elementary and secondary schools. No student shall be subjected to bullying:

I know it is about bullying, but what she did was demeaning and extremely rude, and to threaten a grade based of an attitude and not work ethnic seems wrong. she verbally swore and implied that the people who make "fun" of others are bitches and assholes. Also, while telling a story she proceeded to throw up the middle finger at one point. What can i bring to the college to reprimand her, or am i just going to have to take this quietly.

College teacher publicly threatens grade and verbally abuses students

My math teacher went on a rant in the middle of class after she did not like the actions of a few female students. (my professor is a female). I go to a community college as well.

said teacher went on to say that certain female students were mocking and eye rolling three other girls in the back of the room. She would go on to say that girls who do that are bitches and people who make fun of others are assholes. she was directing it at us. There are only about 8 girls in the room (it is a smaller class) 2 girls were not apart of it, 3 in the back whom the teacher was "defending" and the three in front whom i was apart of . She made it very apparent that she was directing it at us, she was trying to humiliate us in front of the rest of the class and shame us. she would then proceed to say that if certain students were tendering between a 69.7(D) and a 70(C), which you need to pass, that because of the attitudes of certain students, she would not bump it up even if you are putting in effort into the class and assignments. I know college professors can raise a grade if they want, but she somewhat implied that if we don't be "nicer" to the girls that we might fail. We are in college, we did not say anything nor did we directly make the face at the classmates. We can eye roll and snicker if we want. I know there is a school humiliation law in Illinois, but i am not sure if it can apply to college level schools.
(105 ILCS 5/27-23.7)
(Text of Section from P.A. 98-669)
Sec. 27-23.7. Bullying prevention.
(a) The General Assembly finds that a safe and civil school environment is necessary for students to learn and achieve and that bullying causes physical, psychological, and emotional harm to students and interferes with students' ability to learn and participate in school activities. The General Assembly further finds that bullying has been linked to other forms of antisocial behavior, such as vandalism, shoplifting, skipping and dropping out of school, fighting, using drugs and alcohol, sexual harassment, and sexual violence. Because of the negative outcomes associated with bullying in schools, the General Assembly finds that school districts, charter schools, and non-public, non-sectarian elementary and secondary schools should educate students, parents, and school district, charter school, or non-public, non-sectarian elementary or secondary school personnel about what behaviors constitute prohibited bullying.
Bullying on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, military status, sexual orientation, gender-related identity or expression, unfavorable discharge from military service, association with a person or group with one or more of the aforementioned actual or perceived characteristics, or any other distinguishing characteristic is prohibited in all school districts, charter schools, and non-public, non-sectarian elementary and secondary schools. No student shall be subjected to bullying:

I know it is about bullying, but what she did was demeaning and extremely rude, and to threaten a grade based of an attitude and not work ethic seems wrong. she verbally swore and implied that the people who make "fun" of others are bitches and assholes. Also, while telling a story she proceeded to throw up the middle finger at one point. What can i bring to the college to reprimand her, or am i just going to have to take this quietly.

Please post your question only once - thanks. Betty3

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see where you have much of a "case". Just stop doing whatever you were doing. It's up to you if you want to talk to someone about it - the head of the math dept., school counselor........

There is nothing whatsoever you can do that will force the college to reprimand her. Nor was she bullying you - she was telling you to stop bullying the other girls. Report the behavior if you want, but improve your own, and know that the college, not you, will decide what action, if any, needs to be taken in relation to the teacher.

Your college instructor did nothing wrong.

You and your friends, on the other hand....

Mahoney et al: You've experienced the real world. Welcome to it, enjoy the ride.

"We can eye roll and snicker if we want."

Sure you can if you want to be immature, rude, and spiteful. And your instructor is free to call you out for it and consider it as part of your grade. You are an adult and can be expected to act like one. If it embarrasses you to have your own poor behavior called out, stop the behavior. Frankly if you are that close between passing and failing, I highly suggest spending less time trying to blame the teacher and more time studying.

Back