College Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmcbca02

I am a 21 year old college student. My parents divorced many years ago. I don't live with either of my parents. I have paid for my schooling out of my own pocket since I graduated High School in 2005. Technically, my father is the parent that I last lived with, so he is my primary custodian. I fill out the FAFSA every year and I have to put my parent's incomes with my information even though neither of them help me pay for school. I feel like if I have to use their income with my information, I should be getting some help with school. My dad pays child support for one of my brothers, but nobody gets any money for me, and I would like to know how to get some help with this. I live in Indiana.

This is the Indiana Code that applies to postsecondary educational support:

IC 31-16-6-2
Expenses for child's education and health care; Title IV-D fees
**** Sec. 2. (a) The child support order or an educational support order may also include, where appropriate:
********(1) amounts for the child's education in elementary and secondary schools and at postsecondary educational institutions, taking into account:
************(A) the child's aptitude and ability;
************(B) the child's reasonable ability to contribute to educational expenses through:
****************(i) work;
****************(ii) obtaining loans; and
****************(iii) obtaining other sources of financial aid reasonably
available to the child and each parent; and
************(C) the ability of each parent to meet these expenses;
********(2) special medical, hospital, or dental expenses necessary to serve the best interests of the child; and
********(3) fees mandated under Title IV-D of the federal Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 651 through 669).
****(b) If the court orders support for a child's educational expenses at a postsecondary educational institution under subsection (a), the court shall reduce other child support for that child that:
********(1) is duplicated by the educational support order; and
********(2) would otherwise be paid to the custodial parent.
As added by P.L.1-1997, SEC.8. Amended by P.L.2-2007, SEC.361.

Since you don't live with either parent, neither parent is the custodial parent. Also, since there is no current support paid on your behalf, it doesn't appear likely that you will be able to receive any court-ordered support now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back