College Requiring Me to Purchase a Meal Plan

Luke94

Jurisdiction
Michigan
Hi,

I'm currently entering my senior year of college at Spring Arbor University in Michigan. I'm going to be living on campus, and would like to go without a meal plan this year (in order to save $16/meal), and just cook my own food. However, the college requires residents of university housing to have a meal plan unless I have a "serious medical condition". So basically I have two questions:

1. Can they legally require me to purchase a meal plan?
2. If so, what steps (if any) could I take that may create a way to get out of a meal plan?

I've gotten through college debt-free so far by being money-savvy, and it irritates me that a senior can't opt out. Thanks for your help!

Hi,

I'm currently entering my senior year of college at Spring Arbor University in Michigan. I'm going to be living on campus, and would like to go without a meal plan this year (in order to save $16/meal), and just cook my own food. However, the college requires residents of university housing to have a meal plan unless I have a "serious medical condition". So basically I have two questions:

1. Can they legally require me to purchase a meal plan?
2. If so, what steps (if any) could I take that may create a way to get out of a meal plan?

I've gotten through college debt-free so far by being money-savvy, and it irritates me that a senior can't opt out. Thanks for your help!

The easiest way to OPT OUT or LEGALLY AVOID the "food surcharge" is to report yourself as afflicted with a FOOD ALLERGY, or requiring a RELIGIOUS FOOD EXEMPTION, OR BOTH!!!!

Another tactic might be simply you are on a healthy living program, and as such you only eat foods sourced from your HEALTH ADVISOR.

Then you stop explaining and repetively recite why you're seeking the EXEMPTION!!!!

Use what someone gives you to avoid, evade, and exempt yourself.

You can thank HIPAA for your ability to declare without providing a detailed explanation.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/

Yeah, the school's really going to believe that after three years of buying the meal plan he's suddenly got EITHER food allergies or religious beliefs that require him to opt out.

We're not here to tell people to lie. I expect better of you, AJ.

Oh, and there's nothing in HIPAA that would prohibit a college from asking for proof of either statement.

If you want to be a resident of university housing, then you have to follow the rules. Sorry.

Your options are to either choose a meal plan or find off campus housing and provide your own meals. That's it.

Whatever loopholes you think exist, you aren't the first to try them. By far.

Back