1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

College Reimbursement

Discussion in 'Other Family Law Matters' started by kkaren, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kkaren

    kkaren Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    My ex-husband put in our separation agreement that he would reimburse my daughter $5000 a year for a four year degree. She is eligible for a federal pell grant. My question is what kind of records could we keep that would be admissable in court - food? car insurance? gas? new tires? clothing? books, etc.? Anything pretaining to her getting to and from school, and getting her education? Will get the federal pell grant subtract money from the $5,000 he has promised?

    Her father now states that she will have to take him to court to get reimbursed - he will not do it willingly over the four years to make it easier on himself and our daughter. The key word is REIMBURSE - which is fine since she WILL get her four year Masters degree. But, I am wondering what qualifies so we can keep records and receipts of everything.

    Also - he says that I broke this agreement when I got the court to raise my child support for our two children from the extremely low amount I agreed to in the beginning. As far as I know this is still a valid agreement, as it was seperate from the support - right?

    As per our agreement I took care of my other older daughter's college whenever she went. Never asked him for a dime.

    Thank you so much for the help, I greatly appreciate it. My daughter starts college on August 18th, so this is imperative that we get this in our control immediately!

    - Karen

Share This Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.