College dorm 4th amendment rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

yano2go

I'm going to attend my first year of college in a matter of days. My dorm is not owned by the university but by a separate private company. I signed a contract saying, " LANDLORD'S RIGHT OF INSPECTION AND ENTRY: Tenant agrees that Landlord, or its agents or representatives, may enter the Bedroom, Unit, or other Units at the Community at reasonable hours for the purpose of making inspections and repairs or for the purpose of displaying the Bedroom or Unit to prospective tenants or purchasers. In an emergency situation, Landlord may enter at any time to protect life or prevent damage to the Bedroom or Unit." Did I waive my rights? Can anyone associated with the complex (including the RA) search my room without my consent? If I get a safe can they still search it or do they need a separate warrant? If I did get rid of my fourth amendment is there anything I can do to stop them?

That is a common agreement in any rental situation and there are even legal statutes that authorize entry under certain circumstances or with notice.
The reason for such entry is for maintenance, not to search your room. Keep your valuables in a secure place and out of plain view and there should never be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back