College Counselor gives- Bad Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

seniorincollege

I go to a tier 1 University in California. Two months ago I sought advice of whether or not I could withdraw from two of my three college courses. I knew that I had several units to transfer from a local community college, but I wanted verification that I would still be able to graduate on time. I set up an appointment with my college counselor and she told me that it would be OK to withdraw from the two classes which is what she did. I disclosed to her that I had classes to transfer in from a local community college into our University she responded that's fine and she withdrew me from those courses. I asked her if she needed to see what classes I took at the community college and she responded no and went on to say if it's a college class it will transfer in for credit.

I call my school's registrar's office yesterday and they said my local community college classes are not going to transfer!!!!

I'm now in a situation where I have family flying in from across the country to come see me graduate in 14 days! I think I will be able to walk(although not 100% sure) but I won't graduate and will have to take an ADDITIONAL quarter of classes ($2500 tuition + $500 Books + $3000 Room and Board, and not being able to work $xx,xxx or lost wages)

What can I sue for, if at all, and do I sue the counselor or the University?

You have too many variables here to be provided with any meaningful answer. Here's the big question - I don't understand why you waited until the last minute and why the credits you sought to transfer will not transfer. Is it due to timing? It sounds like the university is saying that those credits do not qualify? I am sure they have some process of which you were told and that you couldn't just rely upon the word of a counselor who may have stated that the class should qualify, pending the final approval by the university.

Regarding a lawsuit, what would your damages be? If you are allowed to walkthrough the ceremony and receive your diploma later, it's no damage to you since your family gets to see what they came to see. The university determined that you have to take an additional quarter of classes - so just because the counselor's assessment may have been wrong, that doesn't change any facts, does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back