Collections vs Roommates

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzgrizz87

Hi,

I got my first apartment at 18, living with my girlfriend at the time as well as a roommate. We ended up getting evicted and none of us have talked to each other since. We now owe a good chunk of change to a collection agency who is now harassing me for the money even though I should only be responsible for a third of the debt.

I called them and tried to be setup for payment of only a third originally and they would not allow that. Is there anything I can do or say to get them to settle for a third or at least closer to a third than over half? Should I be prepared to get a lawyer, or is there really any other option for me here?

Hi,

I got my first apartment at 18, living with my girlfriend at the time as well as a roommate. We ended up getting evicted and none of us have talked to each other since. We now owe a good chunk of change to a collection agency who is now harassing me for the money even though I should only be responsible for a third of the debt.

I called them and tried to be setup for payment of only a third originally and they would not allow that. Is there anything I can do or say to get them to settle for a third or at least closer to a third than over half? Should I be prepared to get a lawyer, or is there really any other option for me here?

An added note to this post is that I know for a fact that they are unable to get in contact with the two previous roommates since they've sent collections letters for both of them to my address. I don't know if this is helpful information, but thought I'd add it anyway.

Yes; you can get a lawyer if you wish...to sue your former roommates.

Most leases make each tenant jointly and severally responsible for owed monies. In other words each tenant can be held reponsible for ALL the money owed. The landlord/collection agency is going to go after anyone they can to get these funds. They do not have to settle for just one third of the owed rent from you.

Unfortunately it appears you're the only one they can find and thus you are the one they are going to focus their energies on.

You can pay the entire bill and then hunt down your two former roommates and sue them for what owe for their share.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back