Collections a year after moving out?

Moksa

Jurisdiction
Nevada
I lived in an apartment and moved out in September 2021. When I moved out I gave 60 days written notice and was given a final rent due amount that I paid. I did a walkthrough with the property person who said it was the cleanest apartment they had ever seen during a move out. I did not receive any document that said I would not be charge but I assumed it was good to go. I also did this walkthrough a month early as I was relocating so I paid for a month that I didn't live in there or have access to.

I recently (end of March 2023) received a letter saying I owe them ~$500 and that they will go to collections if I don't pay them. This is the first I have heard of this. They do not provide details only "Balance owing on 60 notice"

How should I handle this? It feels like a shakedown.

Other information:
I try to access the old online portals and none of it works. Maybe management changed hands?
This was at a large apartment complex in Las Vegas Nevada

I lived in an apartment and moved out in September 2021. When I moved out I gave 60 days written notice and was given a final rent due amount that I paid. I did a walkthrough with the property person who said it was the cleanest apartment they had ever seen during a move out. I did not receive any document that said I would not be charge but I assumed it was good to go. I also did this walkthrough a month early as I was relocating so I paid for a month that I didn't live in there or have access to.

I recently (end of March 2023) received a letter saying I owe them ~$500 and that they will go to collections if I don't pay them. This is the first I have heard of this. They do not provide details only "Balance owing on 60 notice"

Other information:
I try to access the old online portals and none of it works. Maybe management changed hands?
This was at a large apartment complex in Las Vegas Nevada
I second what @adjusterjack said, but I do wonder if you received your deposit back after you moved out.

It does seem somewhat shaky.

However, I suggest you read the written lease.
After that, search for any and all documentation related to your departure and subsequent walk through.
Too bad you didn't receive or ask for something in writing after the walk through was completed.

If you have a check out sheet, or proof of the walk through (with the name of the person conducting the walk through), you'd being much better shape.

Do you have any pictures or a video (with sound) of the walk through?

Nevada Statute of Limitations
Each state has its own statute of limitations for consumer-related issues.
Here are some of Nevada's statutes of limitations:

Account/Type Years Statute
Open Accounts 4* NRS 11.190 (2)
Written contracts 6 NRS 11.190(1)(b)
Notes Payable 6 NRS 104.3118
Consumer Lease 4 NRS 104A.2506
Warranties 6 NRS 116.4116
Debt-Management Services 4 NRS 676A.780

* Under NRS 97A.060, a credit card is defined as an open account. However, one circuit court interpreted this statute to mean a credit card account founded upon a written agreement qualifies for the 6-year statute of limitations (Marshall v. Kleppe, 637 F. 2d 1217, 1244 (9th Cir. 1980)). Reno and Las Vegas justice courts have reputations for applying 4-year SOL for credit card cases when plaintiff cannot provide written credit card application or agreement.

Nevada Collection Law | Bills.com

Every state has its statute of limitations on different types of debts or debt collection scenarios. If you've been sued over debt in Nevada, it's important to know your rights. This information will help you submit the most suitable answer to the lawsuit.

In this article, we'll discuss:

Different means a debt collector can use to collect delinquent debts.
The statute of limitation on various types of debts in Nevada.
How to file an answer for a debt collection lawsuit in Nevada.
Nevada debt collection laws
If you fall behind in paying your debts, whether a credit card debt or a personal loan, the lender will try to contact you about it. In Nevada, the debt collection exercise is guided by several laws enforced by the state and Federal governments.

The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) provides debt collection guidelines collectors must follow. These laws protect the consumer from abusive and aggressive debt collection exercises.

Statute of Limitations on Debt in Nevada | SoloSuit Blog

Back