Business Debt, Collections Collection Agency PSI - claiming I owe money

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimi123

Hi...recently I had a man call me from a place called PSI, a collection agency. he claims that I owe them money from a check I wrote in 2010. I mentioned to the guy that I had paid all of my debt off last year and probably already paid them. He was very aggressive and mean. He keeps calling me at work every hour on the hour. I explained to him that I was not going to pay anything unless he showed me what I owed. Anyways, now he threatened me and said he would have me arrest for writing a bad check. He said he would file the report with the san Bernardino county sheriff. today, my work called me on my day off and told me that the sheriff dept. called looking for me and that they would send someone out to see me. Not sure if they are actually allowed to arrest me for something that happened in 2010. Not sure what I should do?? I called the san Bernardino county sheriff dept. to see if this was legit. They were not able to help me since I did not have any information. Should I worry?

If it were me I would completely ignore it. If there was a bad check in 2010 the statute of limitations to pursue anything criminal has passed.
A company could pursue you in civil court for payment, but likely won't. They would rather scare you into submission to keep their costs down.
Stop communicating with them completely. They will find someone else to bother.

The debt scavenger may be violating your rights and federal law. You decide. If you have been violated, this tells you how to report it.

The threat about arrests, might have crossed the line, especially if the debt scavenger was impersonating California law enforcement.

If your employer was told a pack of lies, that helps you.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0149-debt-collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back