collecting child support from 1985-current

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommydaniels5

my "biological father" has never paid my mother child support from the time i was conceived even through now. he skipped out on her and she had no idea where he was ....well after much detective work on my part I have found out where he is and want to know how do me and my mother go after him for back child support for all these years???

thanks in advance!

my "biological father" has never paid my mother child support from the time i was conceived even through now. he skipped out on her and she had no idea where he was ....well after much detective work on my part I have found out where he is and want to know how do me and my mother go after him for back child support for all these years???

thanks in advance!

Did she open a case or file for child support?

Sorry, but no, I don't think she can open a case now. In most states, the case must be opened before the age of majority, and you're past that.

Nope. If your mom never established paternity (and this man may not be the father) and there is no open case, way too much time has passed for her to do anything. If she wants child support she needed to establish paternity and file for it back then.

never did i say she didnt establish paternity....she did and his name is on my birth certificate....

Yeah, it wasn't necessary to question the paternity, but unfortunately she cannot pursue child support now without a previous court order.

ETA: Actually I'm assuming she can't because most state statutes don't allow it after this much time. However, if you'll specify your state, I'll check the statutes to be sure.

Last edited:
Sorry again, California does not allow for retroactive support. :(

It may be no consolation, but when the time comes, you may be an heir and entitled to a share of his estate.

No state to my knowledge will allow a CS case to be opened after the child turns 18.

Unless the age of majority is 19-21.

I don't know of any states that would allow a child support case to be opened for an emancipated child either; but, I don't know all the states' statutes, so I checked CA's to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back