Business Debt, Collections collect or suspend

MBarnes30

Jurisdiction
Virginia
Ive tried twice to resolve this case on my own with the help or courts i was denied each time even when the other party didn't show. The company threatens to suspend my driving license if i don't pay each month i nolonger know what to do.

To whom is the debt allegedly owed?

Why is it alleged that you owe the debt?

What type of license is the "company" ALLEGING they can suspend?

What is the approximate amount you ALLEGEDLY owe?

What sort of debt are we talking about? First, a lender can't suspend your license. Only the state can do that and they will only do that if you owe money for the following:

1. Taxes (or jail fees) unpaid.
2. Child support unpaid.
3. Unpaid judgments for motor vehicle accidents.

the debt was from a car accident without coverage i explained i was covered but the company ended up going under so i was stuck with the outcome of no proof. i tried having the case reheard once but they never showed up. it was transferred to a judgment of me paying 6500 i have been paying monthly but its getting harder with a new family. if i can't pay ive been told it doesn't matter if i can pay late they will suspend my license even if i can't pay untill the next pay period

The company threatens to suspend my driving license

Only the Department of Motor Vehicles can suspend a driver's license.

the debt was from a car accident without coverage i explained

Where did you explain this? It certainly wasn't in your original post.

i was covered but the company ended up going under so i was stuck with the outcome of no proof.

What does "the outcome of no proof" mean? And are you saying that you had insurance at the time of the accident but that your insurer "went under" and didn't provide coverage? Did you contact the Bureau of Insurance to find out if there was a fund available in such a situation?

i have been paying monthly but its getting harder with a new family.

If you have a judgment against you arising out of a car accident, then your license is probably subject to suspension in the absence of an agreement to pay the judgment. If you can't afford the payments, then try to renegotiate or look into filing bankruptcy.

the debt was from a car accident without coverage i explained i was covered but the company ended up going under so i was stuck with the outcome of no proof. i tried having the case reheard once but they never showed up. it was transferred to a judgment of me paying 6500 i have been paying monthly but its getting harder with a new family. if i can't pay ive been told it doesn't matter if i can pay late they will suspend my license even if i can't pay untill the next pay period

It can't hurt you to discuss filing a chapter seven bankruptcy with a couple local bankruptcy attorneys.

It could get some of the weight off of your back.

You really need to contact Virginia's State Corporation Commission's Bureau of Insurance.
    • Toll-free in Virginia: 1-866-722-2551

Back