Code Compliance Officer Wants to Inspect Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvbnh2008

Recently, I received a notice from a code compliance officer from a local government (city). The officer indicates that he had received a complaint about the condition of my rental property (a four-plex) and give me 30 days to repair. My rental property is located in a low income neighborhood; and the appearance of most of the rentals, including mine, is very similar (although not great but not in a run-down condition either).

This is not the first time I receive his notice. Every time my landlord neighbor (who also owns a four-plex) complaints to him about me (mostly about my dumpster that has garbage overflow), he immediately issues a notice. I know it was her because when I asked him, he said it was her complaint.

I feel I am being targeted and harassed by the neighbor and the code compliance officer. The problem is that she just targets me and doesn't complain about other landlords in the neighborhood (the whole area is just rentals).

This time, the code compliance officer tells me to fix a few dents on my aluminum sidings, paint the deck, and fix the gutters. Although the deck require a new coat of paint but is it his job to tell people what to do? Besides, I don't see anything wrong with the gutters and siding except for minor dents.

Worse yet, he wants to inspect the INSIDE of my 4-plex this time. Does he have any rights to do that? Is he going too far by wanting to inspect the inside? I have not called him but I am sure the complaint is from the same neighbor.

I talked to other landlords in the neighborhood, whose fences are broken or damaged and they told me that they didn't get any letters or notices from the city.

I feel like I am being discriminated by both the neighbor and the officer representing the city. What should I do? I know if I just do what he (and the neighbor) ask this time, I'll still receive many more notices in the future.

Your advice would be truly appreciated.

You refuse to comply, he'll get a court order commanding you to comply.
You can speak with your lawyer, but the easiest solution is to sell the property or bring it all up to code.
This isn't about your neighbor, you can complain about her.
But, that won't help you.
Fix your property, or your troubles will grow and get costlier.

The repairs you describe seem outside the scope of code compliance.
If the letter you received cites a particular code you are in violation of then acquire the full text of that code from the code compliance office. Make whatever repairs are necessary that are addressed in that code.
No, you do not have to allow him inside, and you should instruct tenants to not let him inside, though they might anyway.
Without permission he will need a court order to enter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back