Co owned vehicle between married couple

Sarah5657

Jurisdiction
California
I am living separate from my wife and planning on filing for divorce soon. We financed a car together and have had it for three years. She keeps it most of the time and lets me use it once in awhile. I pay all of the payments and insurance. I have been laid off and can no longer afford the car. Her credit is not good enough to transfer in her name. I assume both she and I need to agree to sell. She is refusing to sell or help with payments so I am assuming my only option is to let it be repossessed. Thoughts?

Its the vehicle registered to both of you? If it is only in one name that one person could sell it... Or if the registration lists both names as one OR the other. Responsibility for the loan is a separate matter.

Anyway, if you are planning to divorce I suggest you ask this question of your divorce attorney.

Her credit is not good enough to transfer in her name. I assume both she and I need to agree to sell. She is refusing to sell or help with payments so I am assuming my only option is to let it be repossessed. Thoughts?

In whose name(s) does title presently stand?

Back