Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Class B theft- need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxhound

Hi.

I have a friend who is currently 15 and she got caught shoplifting twice I believe. Her name is Ashley Ivey and lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Below is a link to what she is being charged with and from what I know is it is a class B misdemeanor? She is worried about serving time and I told her I would get her out of trouble as a favor. Now, could you tell me what she could really be facing? She has told me, others have told her, she will be serving time. I believe it is her social worker telling her this and I believe she is inccorrect. The situatuin with her is that I am assuming that the state has authority of her, since she does have a social worker. She has parents, but from what I know, they have abandoned her and I am trying my hardest to get into the right direction. Please let me know what I can do to assist her as I am willing to whatever it may take.

link: http://164.64.40.11/caselookup/Case...S&filingdate=2005-03-08&statusdate=2005-03-08

This question cannot be answered with the amount of information we have here.

First of all, it is not clear with what kind of offense she is charged. It looks like she is charged with a petty misdemeanor, but it could also be a misdemeanor. I assume that the abbreviation LT100 means the value of what she stole was less than $ 100, then it is a petty misdemeanor. Adults can receive up to 6 months in jail for that.

But now there are so many other factors: She might be charged as a juvenile. She might have a record of past offenses. And so on. All these factors play a role in determining a sentence. So the only thing you know is, that she cannot reveive more than 6 months in jail if being charged with a petty misdemeanor.

But this is the maximum. People seldom get the maximum.

From what I know, she has been in trouble twice. The first was over grand in stolen goods. The second was under a hundred. Is it possible to get her something towards community services or probation. I ask, because she goes in this upcoming Monday and want to find a way to get her the lease penalty for what she did.

well, since she has an attorney, it is his job to do this. These things are very much up to the discretion of the judge unless there are strict sentencing guidelines. It also depends on the availability of alternative programs.

heya foxhound

Please let me know what has transpired since your last submission. Was she sentenced to any jail time/comm srevice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back