Class 2 Misdemeanor, Altered Registration

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigsky

Code 46.2-613 (2) Violation (Altered registration, displaying stickers belonging to another vehicle). Criminal offense, Class 2 misdemeanor, potentially 6 months in jail!!!

I have no police record of any kind; 1 moving violation (speeding) in the past 5 years. Never been to court in my life.

Do I need a lawyer? Will they keep me out of jail or would a public defender be adequate help here?

What chance is there that I'll go to jail?? I'm shocked that such a petty offense could carry a penalty of jail.

When I go to court is it necessary to dress up? (suit & tie, etc) jeans acceptable or not? Thank you for your help.

Code 46.2-613 (2) Violation (Altered registration, displaying stickers belonging to another vehicle). Criminal offense, Class 2 misdemeanor, potentially 6 months in jail!!!

Yes, States get rather irritated when you steal tax money from them by means of forging a registration.

What chance is there that I'll go to jail?? I'm shocked that such a petty offense could carry a penalty of jail.

There is little chance you will go to jail, this time. Don't think that this or any crime is "petty." Laws are serious. You will get probation if you aren't leaving something out.

Do I need a lawyer? Will they keep me out of jail or would a public defender be adequate help here?

For this charge a public defender should be adequate.

When I go to court is it necessary to dress up? (suit & tie, etc) jeans acceptable or not? Thank you for your help.

Since you mistakenly showed no respect for the law, I think I would do everything in my power to show respect for the court. Maybe if you show as much respect as possible, the Judge will think you have learned your lesson. Dress up, show respect, and straighten up.

Yes, States get rather irritated when you steal tax money from them by means of forging a registration.

There is little chance you will go to jail, this time. Don't think that this or any crime is "petty." Laws are serious. You will get probation if you aren't leaving something out.

For this charge a public defender should be adequate.

Since you mistakenly showed no respect for the law, I think I would do everything in my power to show respect for the court. Maybe if you show as much respect as possible, the Judge will think you have learned your lesson. Dress up, show respect, and straighten up.

Thank you for your thorough and timely response's jharris352, I really appreciate it.

Just to be absolutely clear, the sticker was taken from another vehicle (so that is theft). Then it was displayed on my vehicle (which is forgery or fraud).

The way I understand it the 46.2-613 code violation deals only with the second part. I was only cited for displaying the sticker not theft of it. Do you have any idea what the penalty for theft of a sticker would be (what class offense it would be, also class 2?) and is this how you understood the situation to be when you first responded or did you believe the sticker was mine from another vehicle I owned?

Also would this information change your opinion about there being "little" chance of jail ??

Thanks.

You won't do any jail time. Maybe if someone was a habitual offender they might consider something like that... but this type of offense just requires you to pay your fees for the vehicle along with any late penalties and a fine.

You aren't going to do jail time. The Judge is going to scold you thoroughly, fine you, give you community service and probation. I wouldn't do it again.

The "stealing tax dollars" comment is because when you pay your yearly tax you get a sticker. So when you steal one, you are effectively stealing tax dollars.

Just to be clear, there have been times in my life that I was broke enough to consider doing it myself. So I'm not talking down to you. Don't do it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back