Claim made against me 3 months after a closed case:

onefreeinternet

Jurisdiction
United Kingdom
Hey all, I'll try and keep this as concise as possible. I was involved in a traffic incident in June. I waited for the police and there was never any question of me being at fault. There were two eye-witnesses and the other party later accepted liability, checking out of hospital with no serious injuries. I was contacted by the police the following day to inform me that the case had been closed and I could move on.

Today I received the letter attached, seemingly via my insurance company. Speaking with the agent through their contact number, I was informed that solicitors had been in touch regarding this claim and they require another statement. I explained the most accurate statement would be the one obtained from the police at the time, but there was still a persistence to re-submit a statement at my earliest convenience; I am expecting a call tomorrow. I was asked if I was prepared to take this to court if necessary.

Aside from the stress of this being dragged up again - I want to make sure I'm talking to the right people and whether in fact it is in my best interest to talk to this company at all, or instead let the legal system do its work.

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated!

Many thanks.

Attachments

• SCAN0015 - edit.jpg
    SCAN0015 - edit.jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 3
If this letter is truly from YOUR insurance company, there shouldn't be any harm in speaking to them. They may be looking for further details not included in the police report, which may help them resolve the matter. Your insurance company is working on your(and their behalf.)

Hey all, I'll try and keep this as concise as possible. I was involved in a traffic incident in June. I waited for the police and there was never any question of me being at fault. There were two eye-witnesses and the other party later accepted liability, checking out of hospital with no serious injuries. I was contacted by the police the following day to inform me that the case had been closed and I could move on.

Today I received the letter attached, seemingly via my insurance company. Speaking with the agent through their contact number, I was informed that solicitors had been in touch regarding this claim and they require another statement. I explained the most accurate statement would be the one obtained from the police at the time, but there was still a persistence to re-submit a statement at my earliest convenience; I am expecting a call tomorrow. I was asked if I was prepared to take this to court if necessary.

Aside from the stress of this being dragged up again - I want to make sure I'm talking to the right people and whether in fact it is in my best interest to talk to this company at all, or instead let the legal system do its work.

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated!

Many thanks.

If you were in the US, I would suggest you speak with a lawyer or two.
No matter what you decided in the US, you don't have to respond to lawyer letters.
However, your refusal to comply could have repercussions via your insurance contract.
If this is the other party's insurance, before you speak to them, you should discuss it with your insurer.
Generally speaking, most insurance carriers recommend not giving any statements to teh other side until you discussed it with your insurer.

Alas, you're in the UK.
Our forum is ignorant of laws outside of the USA.

Back