Claim for spousal award

Steve1212

Jurisdiction
Illinois
I received a letter from an attorney that my step mom after my fathers passing was going for a claim of spousal reward for $20k. I was under the impression his estate had negative assets as i have never seen an estate disclosure, or have any idea what the estate value is, i just know my father passed away with extensive tax debt.

is there anything i should be concerned with as this is the first document i have seen regarding this. I want my step mom to get my fathers estate assuming there was no direct life insurance or anything else he had directly designated his kids(ie my brothers and i )

should i investigate more or is this a standard notification?

I received a letter from an attorney that my step mom after my fathers passing was going for a claim of spousal reward for $20k. I was under the impression his estate had negative assets as i have never seen an estate disclosure, or have any idea what the estate value is, i just know my father passed away with extensive tax debt.

is there anything i should be concerned with as this is the first document i have seen regarding this. I want my step mom to get my fathers estate assuming there was no direct life insurance or anything else he had directly designated his kids(ie my brothers and i )

should i investigate more or is this a standard notification?
is that the term used, "spousal reward"?

I received a letter from an attorney that my step mom after my fathers passing was going for a claim of spousal reward for $20k.

Please explain what "going for a claim of spousal reward" means.

is there anything i should be concerned with as this is the first document i have seen regarding this. I want my step mom to get my fathers estate

Given your expressed desire, then no, there is nothing with which you should be concerned.

I want my step mom to get my fathers estate assuming there was no direct life insurance or anything else he had directly designated his kids(ie my brothers and i )
Based on this, you would prefer that step-mom get everything. What's the problem?

Back