Civil Judgement Discovered on Background Check_Fradulent_Need Help Finding State Filed

DP101

Jurisdiction
Other
A recent background check showed a Civil Judgement filed in October 2015 where I was the Debtor and the Creditor was my ex-husband (who claims he did not file). This is the first I am aware of this, and confirmed through local police that this was not filed in my state where both of us are residents (Florida). Report shows the judgement was vacated along with filing date, case number and "book", but I would like to have a copy of the actual documents filed. Is there a main database that can search all states at once? Thank you!

Is there a main database that can search all states at once?

There are many such sites where one can access civil and criminal court records.

Many states and municipalities offer the information for no charge via the government operated website.

Take NC, for example:

Obtaining Court Records | North Carolina Judicial Branch

Request a Public Record | North Carolina Judicial Branch

For illustrative purposes here are a couple.

NOTE: I am NOT endorsing any site, just pointing out these to demonstrate there are sites where average Janes and Joes can go to research information!!!

You need to do YOUR due diligence BEFORE spending any money or using any such site.

Online Court Records and Criminal Background Checks - Privacy/Public Access to Court Records State Links | NCSC.org | NCSC

http://www.lexisnexis.com/paralegal/pubrecs.pdf

Public Record Due Diligence: Judgments vs. Judgment Liens

A recent background check showed a Civil Judgement f

Did you ask that background check company where the item came from? Seems to me that would be your first step.

I don't think so. You might check with a company that does background checks but I'm sure it will cost you plenty to go nation wide.

I suggest you get all three of your credit reports from:

Annual Credit Report.com - Home Page

There is generally a contact list of the reporting sources at the end of the report.

A recent background check showed a Civil Judgement filed in October 2015 where I was the Debtor and the Creditor was my ex-husband (who claims he did not file).

Who ran the background check and why? Did you ask and did whoever ran the background check tell you what the source of the information was about the judgment?

and confirmed through local police that this was not filed in my state where both of us are residents (Florida).

Huh? Local police aren't likely to have any information about civil lawsuits or judgments.

No.

I would like to have a copy of the actual documents filed.

You will need to contact the clerk of the court where the case was filed to obtain copies of documents. It's possible, but by no means certain, that the court may have web-based access to its case files and documents therein.

I'd start with the court where you got your divorce. Were there children involved? Was the custodial parent ever on public assitance?

Back