Civil Issue regarding a borrowed car

Status
Not open for further replies.

uniquely1985

In July 09 my friend let me use her car as long as I made the monthly payments and paid the insurance. In December of 09 we were going to get the car refinanced in my name but we did not do that. Long story short, On April 15th I paid my car payment for April and 6 months insurance for February to August. A few days later my friend stated that she wanted to sell the car which is her right because it is her car not mine. April 19th we went to a dealership to see how much they would buy the car for and it was a LOT less than what was owed on the car. I talked with her and she told me that the tires needed to be replaced. Also the power steering had been tight since I got the car in 09 but had gotten worse. When I had someone look at the car they stated it needed to be fixed but was not an immediate need for the car to work. Due to my bills, income etc... I could not just get it fixed right then. Also considering that there was no time limit of how long I could use the car I did not want to pay a great amount on repairs. On April 23rd the car was in her possession and I have not seen or driven the car since. Since then my friend has been asking me for money for repairs she got done since I gave the car back. Although I knew the power steering had gotten worse I do not feel that I need to pay for that and that my money that I did not get back for the few days of April I did not have the car and the other 4 months of insurance I paid should have been given back but I offered to my friend to use that money to cover the tires. Upon first discussing this matter while I had the car in a text conversation I told her to see what repairs had to be done and I would see what I could do to help and when she kept requesting money I told her I did not have it and I should have been consulted before she made repairs as to the amounts and everything before she made them if she was expecting me to pay. Now she is saying that I accepted responsibility to the repairs that were made because of the text saying I would see when I would have money and would help but I never specified an amount or date. I feel that since I am no longer using the car I should not have to cover anymore than the money I did not get back regardless of if repairs worsened throughout my use. Cars depreciate and using anything is going to lessen the value. She stated she has contacted legal counsel and will handle it this way because it is my responsibility. What are my options in this matter??

In July 09 my friend let me use her car as long as I made the monthly payments and paid the insurance. In December of 09 we were going to get the car refinanced in my name but we did not do that. Long story short, On April 15th I paid my car payment for April and 6 months insurance for February to August. A few days later my friend stated that she wanted to sell the car which is her right because it is her car not mine. April 19th we went to a dealership to see how much they would buy the car for and it was a LOT less than what was owed on the car. I talked with her and she told me that the tires needed to be replaced. Also the power steering had been tight since I got the car in 09 but had gotten worse. When I had someone look at the car they stated it needed to be fixed but was not an immediate need for the car to work. Due to my bills, income etc... I could not just get it fixed right then. Also considering that there was no time limit of how long I could use the car I did not want to pay a great amount on repairs. On April 23rd the car was in her possession and I have not seen or driven the car since. Since then my friend has been asking me for money for repairs she got done since I gave the car back. Although I knew the power steering had gotten worse I do not feel that I need to pay for that and that my money that I did not get back for the few days of April I did not have the car and the other 4 months of insurance I paid should have been given back but I offered to my friend to use that money to cover the tires. Upon first discussing this matter while I had the car in a text conversation I told her to see what repairs had to be done and I would see what I could do to help and when she kept requesting money I told her I did not have it and I should have been consulted before she made repairs as to the amounts and everything before she made them if she was expecting me to pay. Now she is saying that I accepted responsibility to the repairs that were made because of the text saying I would see when I would have money and would help but I never specified an amount or date. I feel that since I am no longer using the car I should not have to cover anymore than the money I did not get back regardless of if repairs worsened throughout my use. Cars depreciate and using anything is going to lessen the value. She stated she has contacted legal counsel and will handle it this way because it is my responsibility. What are my options in this matter??

She can sue you.
People sue others everyday.

She has no case.
She's just bluffing, as people do when they want to scare you.
She's broke, and has no money to repair her car.

She has no money to pay a lawyer.
No lawyer would take this case, without being paid in advance.
She's driving a beat up, old "HOOPTY".

Let her do whatever she wants to do.
It is a free country.
You had no contract with her.
You have no further obligation to do anything to (or for) the car.

You should, however, cancel the insurance.
if she gets in a bad accident, you'll be on the hook for liability beyond what the insurance might cover.
Therefore, you should cancel the insurance.

You're at great risk as long as you continue to keep it in your name.
Besides, you no longer have an insurable interest in the car.
You no longer drive the car.

Relax, you have nothing to worry about, even if she sues you.
Just make sure, if she does sue you, that you show up in court.
Otherwise, she'll get a default judgment against you.
But, if you show up and defend, she'll lose.

She's not going to sue.
But, you've lost a friend in the process.
This is what happens when you borrow from people and NOT banks!

thank you! I never signed anything and she says she has the text where I said I would help but there was no definite amounts or dates and she is being unrealistic. Also the insurance was never in my name the care was just covered and I payed for that so I dont have to cancel anything.

Text messages are easy to spoof, i can send me wife a text that looks to her like is came from any number i want it to. (There's an app for that!)

**Sent from my OG Droid**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back