Roomate Civil court for non payment of utilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingville

I live in a house with 4 different roommate. I was the only one who had a credit card when we all moved in so all utitlies were set up in my name. We all agreed to pay 1/4 of the utilities. Two of my roommate moved out but paid the landlord but have not been paying for their share of bills. Can I take them to small claims and also collect for punitive damages to my credit? When we moved in together, it was verbally agreed upon that if you moved out, you would be responsible to find another tennant to pay your share, otherwise it was still your responsabilty. These two never found replacement tenants. tWe all signed leases with our landlord, but utilities were verbal agreements. What is the max I can collect?

You should not expect to collect anything. Sorry to say, but the bill is yours only.
Your only hope in small claims is that your former roommate will feel pressured to pay to avoid court. They have no responsibity for the bills after moving out. You won't win a judgment.

Small claims courts can't award punitive damages. They address actual losses only.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back