city utility / rental property owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

iowaboy77

One of my employees is having issues with a rental property and has asked for some advice. Knowing nothing about this aspect of law, I have referred her to a lawyer, but thought I would ask the question here as well.

She owns a rental house. Her last renter accumulated a $2500 city utility bill and skipped town. The city is now threatening action against her and is unwilling to establish any kind of payment plan. They have also turned off the utilities forcing her next renter to vacate, so she lost her source of income. The complicating factor is that the city sat on the bill for almost a year before turning it over to her as the property owner and taking any action. She claims no knowedge of the bill prior to receiving it one year after the fact.

Would her best course of action be to somehow locate the previous renter and sue them? Is that something she could turn over to a lawyer easily?

She needs to pay the bill so that utilities can be turned on again and she can begin renting to start receiving income on this property.

While a lawyer MIGHT be able to hunt down the previous tenant, she will likely have better luck working with companies that provide "skip tracing" services. For example, the screening company I use (www.clearscreening.com) offer skip tracing services which SOMETIMES help to track tenants who owe past rent, damages, utilities, etc..

Did your friend have this tenant sign an application granting approval to run a credit report on them? If so, re-running this again might give them the former tenants current address.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back