City Police Officer Enforcement Powers

tlmcbrayer67

Jurisdiction
Texas
I live outside the city limits of Crandall, TX in a housing Community. The Chief of Police for the city says they have a contract with the MUD District and have full law enforcement duties in our community. How can a MUD distict have the authority to create and engage such a contract.

Chief's response:
To simply put it we have full law enforcement authority in Wildcat Ranch just as we have in the city. As far as traffic citations, if you or any other resident of Wildcat receive a citation your court appearance will be at the JP court not the municipal court. If any fines are to paid they would be paid to the JP court not the city.

I live outside the city limits of Crandall, TX in a housing Community. The Chief of Police for the city says they have a contract with the MUD District and have full law enforcement duties in our community. How can a MUD distict have the authority to create and engage such a contract.

Chief's response:
To simply put it we have full law enforcement authority in Wildcat Ranch just as we have in the city. As far as traffic citations, if you or any other resident of Wildcat receive a citation your court appearance will be at the JP court not the municipal court. If any fines are to paid they would be paid to the JP court not the city.

What did the folks at the MUD District say when you asked them?

Chief's response:

MUDs do have authority to enter into contracts. Texas law also allows municipalities and other local government organizations to contract with other local government entities for needed services, including police protection. Whether a MUD may specifically contract for law enforcement protection is something you'd need to ask a lawyer in your area with knowledge of the law of local government and MUDs. But given what I've found on Texas law it would not surprise me that the MUD may contract for police protection if that is needed to carry out the purposes of the MUD.

Yes.

Metropolitan Utilities District District.

The phrase suffers from Redundant Acronym Syndrome, shortened to RAS Syndrome which suffers from the same malady itself.

Other examples:

VIN number.
SALT talks.
ICBM missile.
OPEC countries.
Please RSVP.
ISBN number/
DC comics.
IBM machines.
LPG gas.
UPC code.

There are many more at:

Redundant Acronym Phrases – STC Washington, DC – Baltimore (WDCB) Chapter (stcwdc.org)

OPEC Countries isn't redundant. ORGANIZATION of petroleum exporting countries. OPEC is the organization, if you want the member countries, you'll have to qualify it with something.

OK. If you say OPEC Organization, then organization is redundant.

If you say OPEC Countries, then countries is redundant.

:)
The "countries" is not redundant. It changes the meaning of the expression. OPEC itself refers to the organization. Just because a word is repeated doesn't necessarily make it redundant, but if you were going to expand the acronym using "members" rather than "countries" sounds better.

Let's Call the Whole Thing Off

I still enjoy a Gershwin song.

Strategic Arms Limitation Talks - Wikipedia

The talks led to treaties called the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaties ("STARTs").

That depends on how you define "led to". SALT I lead to the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty.

SALT II led nowhere because the agreement was never ratified.

There is a link in that wiki that doesn't work anymore. But I highlighted the important part.

Peters,Gerhard; Woolley, John T. "Jimmy Carter: "Peace and National Security Address to the Nation on Soviet Combat Troops in Cuba and the Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty.," October 1, 1979". The American Presidency Project. University of California - Santa Barbara.

Back