City-owned land on a private road?

Nanica54

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
Hi,

I'm trying to find out if a City can own land on a private road and for that road to remain private.

I live on a small dead-end street with 5 houses, two empty lots owned by a construction company and the rest is City-owned conservation land, probably taken from former private owners for nonpayment of taxes.

The City claims this road is private, owned by abutters. Problem is, they are the owner with the biggest piece of land on the road. My deed does not explicity say the road is private, but it does mention I have right of way over land of a guy who's been dead for probably a century now....

This is turning into a major headache over road maintenance and water and sewer lines. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much!

Hi,

I'm trying to find out if a City can own land on a private road and for that road to remain private.

I live on a small dead-end street with 5 houses, two empty lots owned by a construction company and the rest is City-owned conservation land, probably taken from former private owners for nonpayment of taxes.

The City claims this road is private, owned by abutters. Problem is, they are the owner with the biggest piece of land on the road. My deed does not explicity say the road is private, but it does mention I have right of way over land of a guy who's been dead for probably a century now....

This is turning into a major headache over road maintenance and water and sewer lines. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much!

This is one where you'll need a lawyer IF you wish to ensure your RIGHTS are protected.
Otherwise, the city will bully you into submission as your pockets are picked to pay for the little the city will allege it must do to maintain YOUR road.

Another resource might be your local, elected leaders.

Back