City Forcing Me to Pay for Modifications for Their New Water Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JasonJason

Jurisdiction
Iowa
I purchase a home last year. The city is replacing the water meters at no charge for the meter. However, the current configuration I have on my existing meter does not work for the new meter they want to install. They said that I have to pay for a plumber to reconfigure the piping so they can install the new meter. Can they decide to put new meters in and force me to pay for the reconfiguration of the plumbing for a meter that I have never requested to be changed? If not, can you provide some code for me to show them?

Thank you.

Can they decide to put new meters in and force me to pay for the reconfiguration of the plumbing for a meter that I have never requested to be changed?

The CAN is established by the DID.

As another internet NOBODY, even if I were to say NO, the city would ignore my response, too.

I suggest you contact your elected city officials, attend the next city council meeting and request to be heard.

Meanwhile, contacting the mayor and your council representative might be of value.

If not, can you provide some code for me to show them?

You can speak with the city attorney, or one of her/his deputies to seek that information, and a legal response to your query.

Can they decide to put new meters in and force me to pay for the reconfiguration of the plumbing for a meter that I have never requested to be changed?

Do you still have the old meter?

Are you still getting water?

Try saying "no" and see how that goes.

If you still get water and still get your monthly bill, maybe they'll leave you alone.

If the water company is city owned then the city can likely force you to comply or not supply you with water. There would be a city ordinance in the code that spells out the requirements and the reasoning for the change.

If the water company is not city owned the answer may be different (with the net effect being the same) if the water is supplied by a regional authority with a contract with the city.

Check your city's code of ordnances.

Is your meter at the curb or on the house or inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back