City Code enforcement

Diana Ponder

Jurisdiction
Missouri
Hi, recently my sister in law lost both her parents and brother. She was left with the house and all enclosed. Unfortunately there was A LOT of stuff left behind. City stepped in and after working to get things cleaned up, condemned the house. They have been working hard to get the house cleaned up and livable. It was mostly there was a lot of stuff in the house, no infestations of any kind, no major dirtiness just very cluttered. Now the city is still keeping it condemned and not telling them what is the problem. What can we do to fight this? The place is cleaned up 1000 times better than what it was. All livable areas are cleaned and uncluttered. I have a meeting with our cities director of community development and would like to know what other steps to take to help get this done. Thank you

The agency that condemned the house should be able to tell you why it was condemned. It likely isn't because of a mess, but something structural in nature. How is the roof? Are there exposed wires or pipes?
Is there anything at all you can think of that is a safety issue?
Have you called to have the building inspector (or whoever is appropriate) return to the property?
You have likely already been in touch with the right people and having a communication breakdown.
Just guessing...

The agency that condemned the house should be able to tell you why it was condemned. It likely isn't because of a mess, but something structural in nature. How is the roof? Are there exposed wires or pipes?
Is there anything at all you can think of that is a safety issue?
Have you called to have the building inspector (or whoever is appropriate) return to the property?
You have likely already been in touch with the right people and having a communication breakdown.
Just guessing...
There is a window in back that needs to be fixed but that is the only structural issue, but they state that it has to be spic and span for them to reinspect. There is no major safety hazards of any kind. No wires, pipes, roof is new. I feel like this guy is just being rude. When asked what the issues are all he says is it needs to be cleaned. He even stated we should empty the house. It is no different than any other house. Im lost at this point. We have cleaned, moved things, etc and nothing is good enough, but he cant tell me what the problems are. I thought you were to be given the code violations they are citing you for basically.

Hi, recently my sister in law lost both her parents and brother.

Please accept my most sincere condolences upon her loss, and tell her I'll say a prayer for her recently deceased beloved.

City stepped in and after working to get things cleaned up, condemned the house.

Yes, that can happen.

Rules and laws must be obeyed by all of us.

What can we do to fight this?

Your SIL can contact the mayor or the elected city council members and see if any of the city leaders can help get this sorted.

The place is cleaned up 1000 times better than what it was.

Again, your SIL must seek guidance from the code enforcement officials, or elected city leaders.

Sometimes it costs more than its worth to inherit old properties.

Your SIl can simply walk away if the costs are killing her.

I never throw GOOD money after BAD money.

A bird in the hand is always worth more than two in the bush.

I have a meeting with our cities director of community development and would like to know what other steps to take to help get this done.

The director might want to discuss this with your SIL.

Anyway, good luck.

We have cleaned, moved things, etc and nothing is good enough, but he cant tell me what the problems are.

Post photos (see "Upload a File") of the inside of the house and the grounds and we'll give you an opinion.

I have friends who are hoarders (inside and out) and their house and grounds look like crap.

When you post your photos I'll know if you are complying or not.

recently my sister in law lost both her parents and brother.

I assume this is your brother's wife, right?

Unfortunately there was A LOT of stuff left behind.

What does this mean? Left behind by whom? You said that your sister-in-law inherited "all enclosed," and I assume that refers to the personal property located in the home. Is the "stuff left behind" different from "all enclosed"?

They have been working hard to get the house cleaned up and livable. . . . Now the city is still keeping it condemned and not telling them what is the problem.

Who are "they"/"them"?

What can we do to fight this?

We? It doesn't sound like you have any standing to do anything. Your sister-in-law obviously can hire an attorney to help her figure out what's going on.

Back