Criminal Law Citizenship & criminal record

Status
Not open for further replies.

uvne

if you could answer a few questions.
i'm thinking of applying for citizenship but I do not have a clean record.

I was caught shoplifting in high school before i was 18 (a shirt-prob cost about 10-20 bucks) which i served community service for.

In Aug '99 i was charged & convicted of DUI.
In March '04 I was charged with DUI but because I was within legal BAC level, it was dropped to reckless driving.

But due to my track record, it appears that I would have a hard time proving "good moral character". By waiting to apply for my citizenship (and definately NOT have ANY run-ins with the law), would that help my case or would that not matter? Would it be likely that deportation process may be initiated instead :eek: ? thanks

it depends on the exact charges and convictions. You now seem to have one crime of moral turpitude and two other crimes on your record. If all of them have been misdemeanors (which I assume) you would be OK.

But you need to be really law abiding in the future, any further conviction of a crime of moral turpitude will make you removable (deportable).

You probably will be OK for the citizenship but to be sure you should have an immigration attorney evaluate your record and everything else before applying.

thanks for your time! I will seek an immigration attorney to have a closer look at my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back