Property Invasion, Damages, Trespass Citizens obtaining license plate info from private property

W

Willy77

Jurisdiction
Delaware
I recently had a ex stop by at 4am.. she saw another females vehicle in the driveway, BACKED IN.. aside from knocking on the door for a hour and writing weirdo things on the windows with lotion.. while she was there she took a picture of my guests license plate and a few days later ran them.. ... keep in mind , I've never called the cops on anyone..talked to her about the lotion and knocking ordeal.. but two days later she sent me a license plate query with a the details about my friend who was over that night.. And that's when I got law enforcement involved... there were harassment and trespassing charges filed , and recently the prosecutor called and said "she wasn't able to move forward" because 1) we talked about the lotion and knocking 2) no mention of the license plate Info being gathered that night was mentioned in the report.. I spoke with the officer and he said he would rewrite and submit new paper work including that information.. but it almost seems like the prosecutor is not familiar with whether or not it is legal or not for someone to obtain license place info if it isn't visible from the street.. ... can anyone help with this?

I recently had a ex stop by at 4am.. she saw another females vehicle in the driveway, BACKED IN.. aside from knocking on the door for a hour and writing weirdo things on the windows with lotion.. while she was there she took a picture of my guests license plate and a few days later ran them.. ... keep in mind , I've never called the cops on anyone..talked to her about the lotion and knocking ordeal.. but two days later she sent me a license plate query with a the details about my friend who was over that night.. And that's when I got law enforcement involved... there were harassment and trespassing charges filed , and recently the prosecutor called and said "she wasn't able to move forward" because 1) we talked about the lotion and knocking 2) no mention of the license plate Info being gathered that night was mentioned in the report.. I spoke with the officer and he said he would rewrite and submit new paper work including that information.. but it almost seems like the prosecutor is not familiar with whether or not it is legal or not for someone to obtain license place info if it isn't visible from the street.. ... can anyone help with this?

When she drops back by to commit more crimes, just whip out your mobile phone, fire up Periscope, FaceBook Live, or record the entire crime on your mobile phone.

When the cops arrive, you'll have proof of all the dirty deeds and miscreants committing them for the officers to view.

Obtaining the license plate information has nothing to do with trespassing. I don't know what your point is.

Here's my point.. the vehicle she got the information from was backed in.. couldn't be seen from the street .. so in order to get the plates .. she had to come on my property ... I know when it comes to police officers .. they can't do what she did .... and if it was deemed trespassing when she knocked on the doors for a hour.. how is it not considered trespassing that she retrieved the license plate information that same night??

So basically what I'm asking is this... if hypothetically all she did was come on my property one night and knock the doors down for a hour and it was tresspassing..

And one night she stops by and retrieved license plate information...

The more puzzling aspect is, she self documented the entire thing with pictures and texts sent to me.. and I still have , and somehow being that the license plate query was why I contacted law enforcement, it wasn't in the report.. case dropped .. even though the officer would rewrite the paperwork the prosecutor doesn't tie in the fact that more then likely if the cops aren't legally able to do it.... she shouldn't be able to do it

Last edited:
When she drops back by to commit more crimes, just whip out your mobile phone, fire up Periscope, FaceBook Live, or record the entire crime on your mobile phone.

When the cops arrive, you'll have proof of all the dirty deeds and miscreants committing them for the officers to view.

Well here is beauty of it.. SHE did that for me... she took pictures while she was there .. and in text conversation after I woke and discovered what she sent me and the lotion on the vehicles ... she was fully admitting everything she did... proof wasn't close to the issue at all fortunately

I know when it comes to police officers .. they can't do what she did

Of course they can. They would do it in a heartbeat if they had a reasonable suspicion that something criminal was going on.

if it was deemed trespassing when she knocked on the doors for a hour.. how is it not considered trespassing that she retrieved the license plate information that same night??

What difference does it make? She was already trespassing by coming on to the property and there is no law against writing down somebody's license plate.

Of course they can. They would do it in a heartbeat if they had a reasonable suspicion that something criminal was going on.

I feel the same way about the restrictions cops as well... but if it was Proven they got plates from a vehicle they couldn't get by just driving past their house .. it would absolutely be dismissed.. that is something you can look and find laws on.. not saying they wouldn't get what they needed if there was suspicion of criminal activity..but I am saying there are laws against it... and to this point .. I feel the same way as far as her pulling into my driveway as if it were her house is trespassing .. harassing and behavior that could provoke aggression and violence (as written in the report) proves her intentions were on psycho side of things.. but if there are in fact laws against law enforcement entering private property to get plates .. why wouldn't the prosecutor let the officer rewrite the report to include my most alarming concern..and resonance I got the law involved (her getting and running the plates) and procede with the court date .. even if the harassment aspect isn't as as strong because the lotion and knocking for a hour wasn't admisable

What difference does it make? She was already trespassing by coming on to the property and there is no law against writing down somebody's license plate.

I know when it comes to police officers .. they can't do what she did ....

That is absolutely wrong.

and if it was deemed trespassing when she knocked on the doors for a hour.. how is it not considered trespassing that she retrieved the license plate information that same night??

Nothing you've described amounts to trespassing. The license plate has nothing to do with it.

So basically what I'm asking is this... if hypothetically all she did was come on my property one night and knock the doors down for a hour and it was tresspassing..

As you've described it here, no, trespass did not occur.

And one night she stops by and retrieved license plate information...

Completely irrelevant. The only issue with the plate is how she got the registration informaction, which we do not know.

Based on what you've provided here I can't imagine a prosecutor proceeding with trespass or any other charge.

Back