Citizen's Complaint of Reckless Driving in Nevada

Jason Bourne

Jurisdiction
Nevada
False accusation of Reckless Driving via Citizen's Complaint with no evidence and no Officer witnessed any such event ever occurring.

Rural Nevada Courthouse on I-80 near Winnemucca.

We all recommend to get an attorney. Out of dozens of attorneys I've called within hundreds of miles of this Courthouse: No attorneys service this traffic court except one attorney who requested an extremely large sum of money which I cannot afford.

The accusation of Reckless Driving is a Misdemeanor and can result in up to a $1000 fine and up to 6 months in jail. I definitely do think I need an attorney, but in this particular Courthouse that's not an available option. ACLU appears to be aware of this problem.

What can I do in this situation?

False accusation of Reckless Driving via Citizen's Complaint with no evidence and no Officer witnessed any such event ever occurring.

No evidence other than an eyewitness. You do realize that that is plenty of evidence, don't you?

We all recommend to get an attorney.

Who is we??

No attorneys service this traffic court except one attorney who requested an extremely large sum of money which I cannot afford.

That's difficult to believe - keep searching. Worst case is see if that one attorney will be willing to setup a payment plan of some sort for you.

The accusation of Reckless Driving is a Misdemeanor and can result in up to a $1000 fine and up to 6 months in jail.

That pretty much means you should have an attorney.

By the way, how does the referenced article apply to you? Have you even tried to obtain legal counsel through the court?

Army Judge:
LRIS says "We apologize but we could not find a lawyer matching your search criteria." Nevada Bar Find-A-Lawyer shows very few attorneys in the area, and they all say they either don't do traffic court or they don't do traffic court in the courthouse where this traffic citation was assigned to, except for the one man who requested a very large sum of money that I can't even remotely afford.

Highwayman:
Would you refer to a man who says you were doing something you were not doing as "an eyewitness"?

Would you refer to a man who says you were doing something you were not doing as "an eyewitness"?

Yes. You have to crawl out of yourself, stop being naive and look at the situation as a disinterested third party would. Like a judge would.

No one is automatically going to believe you no matter how loud you are saying "that's not true, I didn't do it".

How do you think so many people get convicted of crimes - eyewitness testimony. Are eyewitnesses wrong? Yes, they are at times. That doesn't mean people don't get convicted based upon their testimony.

Army Judge:
LRIS says "We apologize but we could not find a lawyer matching your search criteria." Nevada Bar Find-A-Lawyer shows very few attorneys in the area, and they all say they either don't do traffic court or they don't do traffic court in the courthouse where this traffic citation was assigned to, except for the one man who requested a very large sum of money that I can't even remotely afford.

If that is the case, report to court at the appointed date and time, bring PROOF of your findings.

Tell it to the judge, see what you are told.

Until that date, keep searching.

I would also discuss my case with the only lawyer you seem to be able to find, just to see what you can learn.

You might also see if Nevada allows a person to take traffic school to have these types of citations removed from your record.

Probably not, but it never hurts to know, rather than guess.

That's a great response, Highwayman. Thank you. The reminder to view the situation as the judge likely would does seem to be a very good suggestion. I'm not sure what the judge would be most keenly focused on. What would you say would be the most likely primary points of focus?

Army Judge:
These also look like excellent suggestions. Thank you. I don't know what proof I can provide related to this traffic citation. No property damage occurred, nobody was hurt, there's no video evidence, and the only thing the court has to work with is two written statements. What do you know the Judge will definitely be focused upon relevant to this traffic citation? As you suggest, it's better to know than guess.

Last edited:
I don't know what proof I can provide related to this traffic citation.

The proof to which I was referring is that you claim you are unable to locate any attorneys willing to represent your interests in the county where the issue is to be adjudicated.

You can submit copies of the pages you searched that show NO LISTINGS for attorneys, or document each conversation you have with attorneys who tell you , "Sorry, I don't practice in Poop County or the court in Poopville, NV."

If you have something to show, you might be able to make the argument you are being denied due process because no attorneys are willing to represent a defendant in Poop County.

You can also print out the blog you found and cite the website for the judge to review your representations.

As far as fighting the ticket, as you said, you have nothing to prove you didn't do it.

However, you don't have to prove anything.

The state has to prove you did what the officer cited you for doing!

All you need to do is stand mute after pleading not guilty.

Also the person who made the complaint would have to show up in court to testify. A written statement from the complainant is not sufficient.

The gist is that the guy accused me of doing what he was doing. He was upset, and we all would've been better off if I could have spoken with the guy instead of having this strange court situation.

The gist is that the guy accused me of doing what he was doing. He was upset, and we all would've been better off if I could have spoken with the guy instead of having this strange court situation.

You are a citizen.

You could file a complaint of your accuser, alleging his misdeeds.

Already called 100% of the local attorneys (Very easy to do; not many options) and the distant attorneys won't go to this rural court many many miles away from them.

Back