Criminal Law Citizen ship with a misdemeanor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josy

Please help! I came to the US as a refugee and i have a green card. In 2004 i took a deal and leaded guilty to the Insurance Fraud charge , which was reduced to a misdemeanor charge right there. I got 100 hours community service and 3 years probation which i successfully completed and have just received a paper from the court that the record has been cleared. I have also been married to a US citizen for over a year. I want to apply for citizenship, but i'm afraid that i will be deported or denied citizenship. Can you please advise on what the possible outcomes might be!
I have no other criminal records.

What was the maximum possible jail time for the original charge before the plea deal?
Did an immigration lawyer review your plea?

Re

Immigration lawer did not review my case, i had a public defender and when i asked him if i would have any problems with my citizenship he said there should not be any problems. And i don't know what the maximum jail time was, but i didn't get any. Does it matter that much even though the record was cleared?
I really appreciate your help on this matter

A plea deal is view by immigration as an admission of guilt and as a conviction. And the maximum possible jail time matters even if you did not get any. That is what is used to decide if a crime is deportable or not in a criminal case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back